tlh178

New Guy

i just started doing this as a hobby. thought, can't be that hard! well i was wrong by a mile! i found myself spending hundreds of dollars buying custom painted lures. so after getting all set up,the last two i painted actual caught some nice walleyes. heres my question, when using dark and light colors, which one do you paint 1st. glad i found this site, looks to be alot of info here!

Way to many variables to answer your question. I will say that I start all my paint schemes with a white base coat. I'm not a great painter so I keep things simple. Maybe a darker color on the top and some chartreuse on the shoulders. Add a kill dot and some red or orange on the underside or throat and call it good. I may go over the top with some netting and hit it with a gray then silver but I do like to keep it simple. I have been using a pearl white after the white base coat lately and I like the effect. 

If I were you, I'd practice on a piece of paper and see what the different paints do when layered.

I like using black also as a base sealer/primer. Using certain colors over each (white or black) primer will give you some nice different shades to build off of.

Example, using transparent or....any for that matter except opaque colors. White primer will give you a brighter color or shade. Black will give a darker and richer shades. This also depends on paint and brands.

Heck you can thin opaque colors and do some nice schemes. If I was talking about this subject, we could talk for quite some time. Texting is just not the same. Just experiment on some practice piece first. In time you will find things that you are looking for.

Good luck,

Dale

One other thing, I have primed part of a bait with one and then the other or misting/dusting over each. Just to get a certain look. Then on plastics, the ghost scheme. :) a dusting.

Edited by DaleSW
  • Like 1

I agree totally with Mark. Your get it I'm sure. Understanding what one color can do with another makes a difference. For example a white primer with moderate layer of black then a layer of createx pearl pineapple will give you a nice frog color of green.

As you get that type of understanding, then you can move to mixing paints. Take your time!!!!

Just MO, good luck

Dale

Edited by DaleSW
  • Like 1

There are numerous you tube examples of how people air brush blank baits. It is well worth watching these. Its how I got started. Remember, it takes lots of practice. Its harder than you might think.

Carl

I practice on plastic pipe. But I have found that blanks with scale textures add even more depth. Try practicing on some cheap blanks too.

thanks chuck! thats a great idea. i need to paint something with a patriotic theme, something red, white and blue. my wife and i will attend for the sixth year. a event called walleyes for warriors.  130 boats take 200 veterans out on saginaw bay(lake huron) for a day of walleye fishing then cookout too honor there service. just alittle keep sake for the vet we take out that day.!      www.walleyesforwarriors.com

Edited by tlh178