Predator130

I Know Nothing

Hey Preator130,

thanks for the feedback. I went with the ABS to avoid the issues with PLA but also to improve the joining between the two halves. I find glues, in particular superglue, adhere extremely well to ABS where as to PLA and some of the other materials I tried it was only so so. Using ABS also opens the door for chemical welding which I want to explore in the future. The thing to remember with ABS is as long as your print is say within 1 inch of the heated bed, you should not have any issues with layer delamination. The heated bed will impart enough energy to keep the plastic around the glass transition temp within that height. For me that is great as each half is only about 10mm in height. My only issue with the ABS is bed adhesion. The other issue with PLA is its glass transition temp, it will start to soften about 45 - 50degC if you are not careful, something to be very wary of on those hot summer days. Some of the places I fish the ambient air temp can reach the low 40's and you can feel some of the PLA parts starting to soften.

Thanks for the feedback on TinkerCAD, I will be looking into that in the future as Autodesk could easily turn around and block assess to Fusion360 at any stage. It certainly looks easier to learn than 360 which is a good thing in my book. I do that same as you by the sounds with my printer, I always print plenty of test versions of what I need before finalizing on the real thing. I normally use PLA for all the test version because of the ease of printing as you noted. I then switch to ABS for the final product.

Hey Dave, that is my understanding aswell, significant improvement on things. I found the same with all internal structures as well, everything on the inside has a radius associated with it. Thankfully with the CAD software that is made easy.

Angus

• Like 1

Facinating stuff Angus, I saw your blog a few months back and was really impressed, love the shape you have come up with too- Wish I was younger and could get a handle on this I would be all over it.

Then again I have so many irons in the fire around here I doubt weather I would ever get the time- I  have spent about 18 months making / tweaking that ''copy lathe" and still at it , although it's entirely different I think I know what you must be going through--hang in there mate.

Pete  :yay:   :yay:

Edited by hazmail
  • Like 1

Hey Pete,

Cheers for the feedback, I have found it extremely satisfying myself, a great way to make lures. Just getting the hang of 3d printing is huge let alone making stuff with it. I still have so much to learn and it was great for me to see someone else getting stuck into it and making great lures as well, its not something which I have really come across in my travels.

Angus

• Like 1

The future of lure creation moves ahead, the days of cutting and sanding wood for hours has been changed with this technology, we are seeing the very start of a new age of fishing lures, remember this day. Great work and footsteps to a wonderful future.  

• Like 1

There will always be people like me who are computer illiterate, and who will never be able to adopt this 3D stuff for themselves.

I can see this is a great tool for lots of people, and they will really enjoy it.
I just worry about the loss of the skills required to hand shape lures.  I have seen it in carpentry, where nail guns have created a generation of carpenters who can barely use a hammer.
Just like computer games have kids sitting inside for hours, instead of being outside playing physical games, I can see this technology doing the same thing for lure makers.
From my perspective, hand shaping a lure gives me a host of insight into how different elements affect lures, and it's fun, too.

• Like 3

Hand made lures will always have a place, it's an art after all.  And you may see the finished product here and think all I did was press a button and presto, lure.  But I have personally spent over a month and 2 kg's of material just trying to learn the nuances of 3d printing.  It has it's place and I intend to find out what that is, but it's not replacing injection mold or hand carved parts anytime soon, maybe one day, not right now.

• Like 2

I would say that the set up is quite difficult for someone new to use it (I have not). I would think that the process will become much more main stream for making lures in time. Once understanding the nuances as you call it, it is my opinion that it will get to a point of putting one out one after another.

I have a duplicator (homemade), that can get close to the original every time. This is unlike the 3D printer if I'm correct. 3D's are on target every time.

I set down one day after running out 8 lures out in about 30 minutes, and thought about shaping every lure by hand. This would be much harder and slower. Even with that being said by hand intrigued me. So I started doing them by hand and I have never looked back. Well that's not totally true, I'm trying to figure out where to put the duplicator to get it out of my way.

As you said Printers will find there place in this craft. But for me I love using my hands to create a lure. I wonder did the old timers think like this about plastic lures or any lures using modern tools? I will still take a wooden lure over a plastic one.

Oops, that makes me an old timer.....yep! But all has their places. Old sayin, "to each their own". Which makes it interesting.

Have a great day,

Dale

Edited by DaleSW
  • Like 3

I am sure all of us who started this hobby / obsession have found ourselves using new methods and new tools to see where they would take us. Instead of carving out a lure with a piece of flint, we use saws, knives, chisels, sanders, molds, injection of plastics, etc. Who knows where this 3d printing will lead to. It could be a great tool. It may become a whole new class of lures in this forum. It could have severe limitations. I am looking forward to seeing where this branch will lead. I am also sure that flies will still be tied with feathers, lures will be carved out of wood, plastic blanks will be custom painted, and jigs and wire baits will continue to be poured. My point is that just about everything we do routinely now were once new technology. 

• Like 1

I still hand carve some lures with a pocket knife, use small artist brushes to hand paint some lures entirely, shape baits by hand sanding and still love of the art of creating something out of an old cider tree ( cut up a cedar tree that fell to making lures out of) but starting using PVC for the technology or ease of use, dremel tool, electric sanders to finish shape, templates for details and a airbrush to paint, but I still love to sit on back porch and whittle a piece of wood into a bait. We have seen all the new technology grow into our hobby from wood to composite chemical boards, and we adopted a lot of this into our own creation of lures.  These are just evolution steps added to our art, time marches onward, but I hope there is always someone who picks up a knife and a stick off a tree, and makes a lure to take fishing.  One day, wood lures and our hobby of creating a wood lure by hand may only be seen in display as all great art needs to be saved,   We all need to pass on our art and knowledge to delay the eventual lose of hand crafted lures to the ways of the future. This what I meant few weeks back, but did not clearly write. 

Thank everyone for showing me an error in my writing, keep our art alive and pass it on to younger kids. I plan to teach 3 year old grandson when he is able to learn, he watches me hand carve lures outside many days a week while he plays.  

Thank you all or Thancs Yall in Alabama, Reno   

Edited by tendelta
  • Like 2

@ Tendelta

I have a grand that is 9 years old. She loves fishing, boating and generally the outdoors. She also enjoys crafts, so I thought that what I do with baits would combine this all into one. She always would come out into the shop and watch but would never ask to try one.

So one day I carved out a shape where she could use files to complete it. She did and then painted a abstract scheme similar to a tiger scheme. She is now officially hooked on doing them. When she stays over she will follow me into the shop. I always make time for her to do some work. What's a hoot is she catches fish on that bait.

As I'm writing this I'm thinking that I may need to make another work station. If her attention changes as she gets older I can make it a paint station only.

But for right now, I believe I enjoy seeing her do work more then she enjoys doing it herself. It's fun to watch her imagination and work.

If they like it, teach and help them. MO :)

Dale

• Like 2

I still hand carve some lures with a pocket knife, use small artist brushes to hand paint some lures entirely, shape baits by hand sanding and still love of the art of creating something out of an old cider tree ( cut up a cedar tree that fell to making lures out of) but starting using PVC for the technology or ease of use, dremel tool, electric sanders to finish shape, templates for details and a airbrush to paint, but I still love to sit on back porch and whittle a piece of wood into a bait. We have seen all the new technology grow into our hobby from wood to composite chemical boards, and we adopted a lot of this into our own creation of lures.  These are just evolution steps added to our art, time marches onward, but I hope there is always someone who picks up a knife and a stick off a tree, and makes a lure to take fishing.  One day, wood lures and our hobby of creating a wood lure by hand may only be seen in display as all great art needs to be saved,   We all need to pass on our art and knowledge to delay the eventual lose of hand crafted lures to the ways of the future. This what I meant few weeks back, but did not clearly write. 

Thank everyone for showing me an error in my writing, keep our art alive and pass it on to younger kids. I plan to teach 3 year old grandson when he is able to learn, he watches me hand carve lures outside many days a week while he plays.  

Thank you all or Thancs Yall in Alabama, Reno   

That's All Yall!

@ Tendelta

I have a grand that is 9 years old. She loves fishing, boating and generally the outdoors. She also enjoys crafts, so I thought that what I do with baits would combine this all into one. She always would come out into the shop and watch but would never ask to try one.

So one day I carved out a shape where she could use files to complete it. She did and then painted a abstract scheme similar to a tiger scheme. She is now officially hooked on doing them. When she stays over she will follow me into the shop. I always make time for her to do some work. What's a hoot is she catches fish on that bait.

As I'm writing this I'm thinking that I may need to make another work station. If her attention changes as she gets older I can make it a paint station only.

But for right now, I believe I enjoy seeing her do work more then she enjoys doing it herself. It's fun to watch her imagination and work.

If they like it, teach and help them. MO :)

Dale

I hear you. As a Native American I try  to pass on all I can. My father was not proud of his heritage. I understand why. He was disinherited because of it. Deprograming was still being carried out and genocide was a recent memory. He did not pass on much. But what I learn I pass on to progeny. When I take from the land, I return something. I waste little. Hides of animals become snowshoes or buckskin. Scraps of the trees become lures. Fish and animals are taken with an awareness of the effect on the environment. Use of land does not mean ownership. We all have the responsibility to use it properly. Family and extended family are our real heritage - so teach them well. Crafting things is part of the heritage we pass on - whether we be the last of a dying breed, or lure makers.

• Like 3