Jwbright

Lures On A Lathe

How do you keep the wood from slipping on the mandrel? I'm having issue with slipping. I've tried wax on the mandrel and small pieces of it through the center of the balsa but I'm still getting stripping/slipping.

Balsa is tricky to turn on a lathe.  Your best bet is to glue blocks to mount the balsa between centers.  Trying to use the typical head/tail centers on balsa is troublesome.  You also need really sharp tools.   Easier to shape with 80 grit sandpaper then finish with higher.  

• Like 1

Over here on Long Island it's mostly salt water fishing. There are  a bunch of striper anglers, and a big market for plugs. Every now and then, I'll steal an idea for musky or gar for use with stripers, bluefish, or fluke. I don't have anything fancy, most of my tools and machines are second hand-some free from Craig's List. My lathe and the lathe tools are from Harbor Freight.  I ordered this e-book when I first started turning, I still haven't tried everything in it:  http://www.woodenluremaking.com/  Turned out to be a good buy, he even gives you sources for materials and supplies. 

• Like 1

I've been making hard baits for years, hand carved from wood then molded.  I just started with the lathe and I'm having some fun.  I don't want to just make the traditional torpedo shaped lures so I'm experimenting with some complex shapes.  Just make a few Jitterbug style lures that turned out pretty nice.  I made a video and I would love to get some feed back from fellow lure makers. Check out the videos at :

I like your video production. You've given me a clear path to follow when I try my own. I also appreciate the desire to travel off the beaten path. I didn't want to to just copy other designs, I developed a few of my own. It makes things more interesting, but it's a harder sell. People forget the "traditional" designs used to be new not so long ago! The lure drying machine you came up with is terrific. 

Thanks for the feed back. ..I'm pretty new at the video thing so any thoughts on topics and length would help.  Stay tuned For an upcoming video on Unique Designs of mine that I plan to introduce.

As far as adding silicone legs on to those jitterbug's;  I have made hybrid hardbait / Soft Bait lured for saltwater that really kill.... I'm still a little bit greedy with those and haven't shared them.  A hard body frog bait with silicone legs... Something to try.

• Like 1