Jwbright

Lures On A Lathe

Like Pesca - I'm just getting started. Well, really I'm just in the researching phase, so I guess you could say I am JUST getting started. I hope Pesca won't mind, but I have a lathe question and since you guys are all already talking about it - can I threadjack a bit?

Would you guys think that a beginner would be OK using a cheaper lathe to start, or should I just hold out and invest in a really good one from the start?

Harbor Freight has one for under $200, but one from a big box store isn't much more than that. Just wondering what you lathe'rs (?) think of the cheap o versions of this tool? I don't want to waste money on an expensive lathe to find out I hate it, but then - I don't want to try to learn on junk, either.

I'm out on a limb here betting that Pesca might find your answers interesting, too?

:)

I have a harbor freight lathe and it works just fine I would have to say if you are just starting out I would use the harbor freight one till you get a feel for it. and maybe get a better one after you understand how to work with it tool's are more important and a good way to sharpen them is even more important good steel is the most important thing in wood turning tool bad tool's make for bad lures spend money on the tools the lathe is just part of it all small wood lathe are basically the same design so it really doesn't matter the tools are what's important

tight lines jay

I had a 36" HF wood lathe about 30 years ago, and it was ok.  I used it for pool cue work mostly.  It also turned a few table legs.  Then I gave it to a friend of mine who used it for cabinet work and furniture restoration.  He used it for over 20 years on a semi regular basis.  His son has it now. 

That being said I really do not feel like some new HF tools are as good as they used to be.  Others don't seem to be affected.  I guess "youse pays yers nickle and youse takes yers chances."  

I would have recommended Grizzy because they do actual QC on their imported machinery, but there have been some reports that didn't sound stellar in the last few years, and they tend to cost a little more than HF.  They do sell a lot of machinery though.  I have a few bits and pieces from them myself, and can't say I've gotten anything bad.  

Does anyone still make wooden lures on a lathe? Used the search function and found some discussions but all were several years old. Has it died down or everyone just kinda know what they doing now and don't talk about it much?

yes people who are in to making lures still use the lathe to make them I make wooden fishing lures on a lathe and you can look up old lures from the 1920s to the 1950s all are made on a wood lathe

The saltwater lure builders seem to use them a lot, google stripers online.

You can make freshwater lures on a lathe also it's not just salt water I fish for Muskie and Northern Pike and I use lures for stripers to catch them don't think these are just for saltwater freshwater works too I turn old school lures for freshwater and saltwater fish

The saltwater lure builders seem to use them a lot, google stripers online.

You can make freshwater lures on a lathe also it's not just salt water I fish for Muskie and Northern Pike and I use lures for stripers to catch them don't think these are just for saltwater freshwater works too I turn old school lures for freshwater and saltwater fish

I would have recommended Grizzy because they do actual QC on their imported machinery, but there have been some reports that didn't sound stellar in the last few years, and they tend to cost a little more than HF.  They do sell a lot of machinery though.  I have a few bits and pieces from them myself, and can't say I've gotten anything bad.  

Grizzly still popular for many.  They have some tools that are just home runs considering the price/quality.   Add their customer service is very good to outstanding by most accounts as they are very easy to deal with, get parts, replacements, etc.... Where as most other companies out of luck.

I have the g0462 grizzly lathe it is a rock solid machine it just has no bells and whistles at all, I can hand thread a 1/2" dowel on it with no problem at all it is just a good solid lathe And a good value for the dollar. David J

Hand thread?  How are you doing that?  I'm not questioning it.  Just asking.  My uncle used a wood lathe to show me how threads are made on a lathe a long time ago, but it was really a crude unusable thread just for demo / teaching purposes only.  Are you getting an actual usable thread like on a broom or brush handle? 

@Bob La Londe

The process is called thread chasing, it takes a little rythem a light touch and a lot of practice to learn but yes I make a very usable thread, I make acorn shaped box's with screw on lids from 1/2" in diameter up to 4" on diameter. People love them for pocket and purse pill , gum, lifesaver etc box's. I'll post a picture of a couple once i take a few, the tools to do it I made myself and it is a bit of a challenge on a lathe @ 650rpm but not undoable just takes practice, but the griz lathe is a acurate and tough piece of equipment. I love mine .

David J

@Bob La Londe

The process is called thread chasing, it takes a little rythem a light touch and a lot of practice to learn but yes I make a very usable thread, I make acorn shaped box's with screw on lids from 1/2" in diameter up to 4" on diameter. People love them for pocket and purse pill , gum, lifesaver etc box's. I'll post a picture of a couple once i take a few, the tools to do it I made myself and it is a bit of a challenge on a lathe @ 650rpm but not undoable just takes practice, but the griz lathe is a acurate and tough piece of equipment. I love mine .

David J

• Like 1

Sorry about the double post, slow cell service down here in the ozarks and I get a little twitchy on the button pushing finger, and to answer your question Bob I use a 16 tpi thread for most of my projects and have used a 18,20 and 13 tpi all with no problem just a little faster or slower rhythm respectively. I will try and get a picture posted in the next day or so, and you will see the threads and there quality.

David J

Edited by Jordanlures

@ Bob La Londe

Bob the first nut is a spalted ash with a maple top about 1" in diameter and 2" long the second nut is a spalted oak and black jack oak and about 1/2" diameter and 1.25" long I think the pics are good enough to see the threads are very functional and hold the cap to the nut securely. These and many others I have made have all been done on my griz lathe I am very happy with my lathe and would recommend it to anyone who wants a solid no frills piece of equipment IMHO hope this clears up hand threading a little. The hard part is fitting the second piece to the first.

David J

20150516_334.jpg

20150516_336.jpg

20150516_353.jpg

20150516_356.jpg

20150516_334.jpg

20150516_336.jpg

20150516_353.jpg

20150516_356.jpg

20150516_334.jpg

20150516_336.jpg

20150516_353.jpg

20150516_356.jpg

20150516_334.jpg

20150516_336.jpg

20150516_353.jpg

20150516_356.jpg

20150516_334.jpg

20150516_336.jpg

20150516_353.jpg

20150516_356.jpg

20150516_334.jpg

20150516_336.jpg

20150516_353.jpg

20150516_356.jpg

20150516_334.jpg

20150516_336.jpg

20150516_353.jpg

20150516_356.jpg

20150516_334.jpg

20150516_336.jpg

20150516_353.jpg

20150516_356.jpg

post-48422-0-89111900-1466794554_thumb.jpg

post-48422-0-07055600-1466794606_thumb.jpg

post-48422-0-76811400-1466794649_thumb.jpg

post-48422-0-61065100-1466794707_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

@ Bob La Londe

Bob the first nut is a spalted ash with a maple top about 1" in diameter and 2" long the second nut is a spalted oak and black jack oak and about 1/2" diameter and 1.25" long I think the pics are good enough to see the threads are very functional and hold the cap to the nut securely. These and many others I have made have all been done on my griz lathe I am very happy with my lathe and would recommend it to anyone who wants a solid no frills piece of equipment IMHO hope this clears up hand threading a little. The hard part is fitting the second piece to the first.

David J

That is some NICE work. :worship:

Ben

• Like 1

Wow, and prescient as well.  LOL. 

Nice work.  Not something I would even try.  I might free form the nuts, but I'ld probably precut the threads for something like that on the little CNC router with a thread milling operation.  I wouldn't allow the saw dust on my metal cutting lathe, but of course it could cut them.

Wow sorry Bob It was Ben, thanks Ben and now Bob again, I work third shift so 4:00pm is way late in my day  :yawn: I guess my eyeballs get a little fuzzy :drool: at that time of day, bedtime is usually 1:00pm , it all gets a little fuzzy when you work by the light of the moon, again my apologies to you both.

David J