5 fish on

Is there any difference between 30min and 2ton decon ?

I have been using the 30 minute stuff thinking it was the stuff that you guys use ,but something tells me there is a difference . Is there any down side to the 30 minute because if there is I havn't seen it . If knowledge is power then Iguess I am a vw bug . Fill me up with premium unleaded advice please .

Welcome fellas. I am Professor Skeeter. I will be instructing you in Devcon 101. Real quick like, 30 min Devcon has a tensile strength of 1500 lbs. per sq. inch. Long cure Devcon has 2500. 30 min Devcon should be used to glue in lips, weights, etc. It sets fast. But it will also yellow. Which is why you should use long cure Devcon for clearcoating. The reason that the 30 min Devcon has a yellow type of tube is because the hardener used in the 30 min Devcon is much hotter. This causes the resin (in the other tube) to harden quicker. It is also what makes the resin more brittle and yellow. Any questions?

Skeeter

You guys are trying to confuse me. :? Walmart carries 2 Ton Epoxy which holds 2500lbs. per sq. in., and 5 Minute Epoxy with psi strents of 1500 lbs. The 2 Ton has a yellowish cast to the hardener but will dry and remain clear. The 5 Minute'a hardener is clearer in the tube but will yellow with not too much age. You are using the right devcon, the Two-ton, the 2500 lb, the long cure stuff. Forge ahead!

Professor Skeeter, I think you said 30 minute when you meant to say 5 minute. And I will stay after class if we can work on lures. B)

Dean

:) Well I don't know what to say here, except that I haven't had any lures turn yellow that were clear coated with Devcon 2 Ton, but I would expect the 5 Minute to behave that way. I've clearcoated over several different kinds of paint and foil. I think it has alot going for it as a tough clearcoat for relatively compact wood bass lures. I wish some genius at Devcon, a trademark ITW Performance Polymers, would add two drops of UV stabilizer to their 2 Ton (just for insurance :) ), make it one tad thinner, one tad less brittle in high impact situations (Rattle Traps on rocks for instance), without the extreme cure times of Flex Coat Etex Crystal Sheen etc. Or maybe it won't happen. In the meantime, I seal my lures before painting, allow the paint to cure well before clearcoating and try to take care of my lures when not in use.

Chip, we're all waiting for the magic clearcoat you've been been baiting us with. :wink:

Dean in the Magic Kentucky Sun :D

Hey guys, reading these pieces of info sure confuses me. :huh: Can we clarify something here - Which is the correct Devcon to use?

From Devcon's website they have:

Type: Color / FixtureTime / Strength

5 MINUTE EPOXY: Light Amber / 10 ~ 15 / 1400

10 MINUTE EPOXY: Clear / 20 / 2400

2-TON CLEAR EPOXY: Clear / 30 ~ 35 / 2250

CLEAR COAT EPOXY: Crystal Clear / 2 1⁄2 hours / 2750

(To add to my confusion, the one I've been using is called:

2-TON CRYSTAL CLEAR EPOXY: Clear / 30 / 2500

(which is not on the list in Devcon's website :( )

Anyway over here I have only 2 choices anyway; the 5 minute or the 30 minute stuff. There is a code that says S-35 on the packaging though, can someone clarify if this is the one?

The 30 min. epoxy is the long cure that most of us are talking about. It is suppose to mean that you have a 30 min work time with it. For our purposes you really only have less than 15 min. for spreading as a clearcoat. The 5 min. will yellow. Especially if left in the strong bright sun for a day. I have only had one that went a true amber color where I sealed a lip in with it. Maybe the 5 min has the clear hardener, but I promise you that it gets allot hotter as it cures.

Skeeter

Thanks Skeeter for clearing that up.

Yeah, the Devcon 5 min Epoxy sure yellows, even Devcon's Adhesive Guide states the color as light amber. It even bleeds thru over time to make the 30 min stuff yellow. Used the 5 min once to glue in thru wire & then painted white over it. After a few weeks I have a yellowish belly where the 5 min glue line was. Avoid it like plague now :)

Husky:

Enuff already, I'm gonna use ETEX!

Nooooooo! 8O most "Etex converts" don't return from the dark side... and if they do.. 8O there's something changed about them. Like the light in there eyes has dimmed... 8O like the joy of lure making has changed forever. 8O Slack jawed with half cured lures that have been on drying racks for 3 weeks or more! 8O It is a sad thing. :?:cry: But we accept ALL etex converts back into our devcon fold. :D:twisted:

This is the 2 Ton I've been using without any yellowing. Available at ...ya ya Walmart,

Tight lines,

Shawn

devcon_2ton.jpg

devcon_2ton.jpg

devcon_2ton.jpg

devcon_2ton.jpg

devcon_2ton.jpg

devcon_2ton.jpg

devcon_2ton.jpg

devcon_2ton.jpg

906_thumb.attach

CLEAR COAT EPOXY: Crystal Clear / 2 1⁄2 hours / 2750

Thanks LaPala for the info!

According to the Devcon site, it looks as though they indeed do manufacuture the stuff I wished for oops: just a little more flexible with UV inhibitor: Unfortunately we're not going to find it at Wally World, which means it is not going to be $1.99 either, although it is available in a syringe pack. In theory anyway. I surfed distributors, nobody stocks it anywhere near me. Now if some marketing genius at Devcon could figure out how to make it available to lure builders... :rolleyes:

Dean