19D10

Crawfish Color Paints

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me where I could I can get more natural color airbrush paints..I'm trying to paint the very drab greens and browns that are natural to real crawfish..the only ones that seem to be even close are the createx detail colors..like sepia, Moss green and burnt Siena..any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me where I could I can get more natural color airbrush paints..I'm trying to paint the very drab greens and browns that are natural to real crawfish..the only ones that seem to be even close are the createx detail colors..like sepia, Moss green and burnt Siena..any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

You just need to practice.  Learn to mix and layer paint and it will go a long way in your painting.  This is what really separates guys when it comes to painting or soft plastic lures. 

Search the net for color theory and you will find all the information you need to know and it will make you a much better painter. 

Edited by Travis

Try experimenting on some pieces of plastic pipe. To get those colors you will probably have to layer. .  out my craw pattern called "grassy knoll in the gallery ( a recent post) . Try  this is the recipe: Opaque white base, wicked gold. The rest are very thin layers - Transparent olive (30 drops T canary yellow  - 1 dr T deep blue - 3dr T dk brown) , Next spatter with wicked detail moss, then add T leaf green, Deepen with candy black (1 drop T black, 2 dr T base (no pigment), reducer) on top. This gives you a grassy green with a lot  of depth to it.

You may have to custom blend your own colors. When you do this keep track of the # of drops of each color added spray a spot on an address label, write the recipe on the label as well. this can then be stuck on a jar if you have some left over. I keep another copy as well in a notebook with all the pearls on one page, transparent on another. etc. Check out the cookbook thread for lure patterns and color recipes. I will post a few craw colors there. 

• Like 1

I have a guy that's wanting me to paint wiggle warts with no base..kind of see through. That's kinda what's throwing me off. I've seen pictures of them done like that. Im lost on how to paint multiple thin layers and be able to keep it transparent..love the idea of using pvc! That will save me some blanks!

I really like moss green or burnt orange over a clear blank. Just enough to color the bait. The burnt orange ends up the color of iced tea.

Whichever color I use, I go over the back with the other color. I spray the eyes black, and add a little blue glitter in the clear coat.

So far I have had no problem spraying directly onto a clean clear blank. If you did you could always spray the blank with Createx transparent base. Adding the base to your paint will make it more transparent if needed. Adding reducer allows you to spray thin controlled coats at a lower pressure. Pearls and fluorescents can also be used to a limited degree on ghost patterns.

Here's a Predator Baits wiggle wart I painted:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/13346-20140518-104501-resized/

I dipped the blank quickly in clean acetone to get a virgin plastic surface for paint adhesion, and then shot my Createx transparent colors right onto the blank, with no primer needed.

• Like 1

I have a guy that's wanting me to paint wiggle warts with no base..kind of see through. That's kinda what's throwing me off. I've seen pictures of them done like that. Im lost on how to paint multiple thin layers and be able to keep it transparent..love the idea of using pvc! That will save me some blanks!

Like everyone else said, use transparent paints. A little goes a long way so keep each layer light.

• Like 1

Mckenzies has water based paints also. I'm assuming they are acrylic. You must be looking at the laquer line. Also I would consider building a spray booth. A plastic bin tipped toward you, with a bathroom exhaust fan attached to a hole in the back. You can vent it outside with a dryer vent hose. Do this and you can use super glue, laquer, etc with impunity. Even water based paints that are non toxic are best kept out of your lungs.

Also note that thin layers of certain colors work really well to deepen or earthify (just made that word up) other colors. You have three already -wicked sepia, Moss green and burnt Sienna. Burnt Umber is another good one. Createx colors (like T Black) can be mixed with the transparent base and reduced. You will be amazed at how much you can change a color by adding very thin layers of these colors. Buy a color wheel. It will point you in the right direction when layering on the bait or custom mixing in liquid form. When doing the latter, the manufacturer says do not mix the "Createx: and "Wicked" lines together.