RayburnGuy

Gill Stencils

Hey guys,

Does anyone know where I can get a set of gill stencils in a couple different sizes for bass sized baits? I suck at trying to cut them myself and there's nothing more aggravating than screwing up a bait at the last step trying to add gills.

I've tried calling and emailing LureLayouts, but can't get a response from them so would rather not go that route.

thanks,

Ben

gills 002.JPG

I make my gill stencils like this: Find a small piece of transparent plastic and punch a hole in the corner. This marks the eye position. Position plasitc over the eye and gills of your favorite lure or a fish picture on your computer. Mark a second reference point (lateral line, top of bait, etc) Trace the gill line with a fine sharpie, cut and spray thin paint at low pressure with most of the paint hitting the plastic. To do the other side, flip and repeat. Do the same with the cheek line. 

gills 002.JPG

gills 002.JPG

gills 002.JPG

gills 002.JPG

gills 002.JPG

gills 002.JPG

gills 002.JPG

post-49113-0-27261700-1463349988_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks everyone.

I'll try a search on Facebook and see what I can find Nate.

It sucks to get old and accumulate all the maladies that go along with it Pete. It's gotten to where I need glasses to find my glasses and my hands shake worse than a chihuahua trying to pass a peach pit. That's why the search for some gill templates.

I'll check out the erasing templates JW.

I've tried making gill templates many times in multiple ways Chuck and they always end up less that stellar. I was looking for some ready made ones for the reasons mentioned above.

thanks again guys,

Ben

• Like 2

Ben, I liked your first paragraph so much that I was laughing. Then laughing changed to shaking my head in understanding.

I can't hold regular stencils anymore. So I bend large paper clips so that they look like a scissor. I put a plastic or rubber coating on the ends (tubing). Then I use them like a clamp. LOL, works for me.

I am with you, brother.

Dale

Dave, I was taught when I was a wee little one by mom. Never talk politics to a friend. Because most of the time, they won't be your friend long. Me myself, everyone has their own opinion. When it comes to this I keep mine to myself. Mom's words still ring in my ears.

Just sayin, :)

Dale

• Like 1

I don't mind friending dogs - Like 'em better than most people.

It's not really about the dog Chuck. It's the whole "friending" concept that drives a huge portion of the Facebook users.

When I first joined Facebook I heard from people that I haven't seen, or heard from, in years. I thought it was great at first, but as soon as I accepted their friend request that was the last I heard from them. No replies to messages or anything. That told me that all these folks were wanting to do is increase their friend total. So much for being an actual "friend".

I'm exactly like you in one respect though. The more I learn about people the better I like my dog.

Ben

• Like 4

Hey guys,

Does anyone know where I can get a set of gill stencils in a couple different sizes for bass sized baits? I suck at trying to cut them myself and there's nothing more aggravating than screwing up a bait at the last step trying to add gills.

I've tried calling and emailing LureLayouts, but can't get a response from them so would rather not go that route.

thanks,

Ben

Ben,

Checkout Lure Colour Studio, really awesome stencils.

I think a lot of the difficulties guys are having with stencils is that they use material that is too stiff and hard to cut.  Milk bottles, clear plastic, etc.  I hit upon FRISKET material that artists use for making stencils and it makes life a lot easier.  It's a fairly soft plastic sheeting with a peel-off paper backing.  You can buy it with varying degrees of tack for the adhesive that holds on the paper backing.  Many art supply sites and stores carry it and it comes in a roll about a foot wide for around $10.  I've used one roll for the past 10 years, so it makes a lot of bass lure stencils.  When I began using it, I peeled off the backing and stuck the stencil onto the lure.  That can be a problem since the stencil adhesive can lift fresh acrylic paint if you aren't lucky.  Then I hit on a better solution.  Just cut the stencil and use it with the paper backing still attached.  Hold it against the lure with a finger while you paint.  It's soft enough to bend to conform to the shape of the lure. This solves the lifting problem and also makes the stencil reversible, which is nice since you always want the opposite side of the lure to look the same.  And as an added benefit, the stencil becomes re-usable.  Over the years, I've saved the stencils I cut and now have a "library" of them to pick from.  The frisket is easy to cut accurately with an Xacto knife. 

• Like 3

I think a lot of the difficulties guys are having with stencils is that they use material that is too stiff and hard to cut.  Milk bottles, clear plastic, etc.  I hit upon FRISKET material that artists use for making stencils and it makes life a lot easier.  It's a fairly soft plastic sheeting with a peel-off paper backing.  You can buy it with varying degrees of tack for the adhesive that holds on the paper backing.  Many art supply sites and stores carry it and it comes in a roll about a foot wide for around $10.  I've used one roll for the past 10 years, so it makes a lot of bass lure stencils.  When I began using it, I peeled off the backing and stuck the stencil onto the lure.  That can be a problem since the stencil adhesive can lift fresh acrylic paint if you aren't lucky.  Then I hit on a better solution.  Just cut the stencil and use it with the paper backing still attached.  Hold it against the lure with a finger while you paint.  It's soft enough to bend to conform to the shape of the lure. This solves the lifting problem and also makes the stencil reversible, which is nice since you always want the opposite side of the lure to look the same.  And as an added benefit, the stencil becomes re-usable.  Over the years, I've saved the stencils I cut and now have a "library" of them to pick from.  The frisket is easy to cut accurately with an Xacto knife. 

I use a similar material. Clear binder cover sheets - medium weight - available at office supply stores. I get mine at Staples sku # 7751152043. It is about $15 for 25 sheets and has no adhesive on it. You can vacuform it wit h a heat gun. The sheets are thin, flexible, can be cut easily, and are plenty durable (as long as you don't step on them).

Edited by Chuck Young

If anyone wants to make their own stencils, but doesn't have a vacuform machine, check mine out in homebrew section. A nice stencil material is on there as well.

Does anybody know how to spell "vacuform", cause I'm stumped?! :eek:

Edited by Chuck Young
  • Like 1