AKFerzy7

Another Devcon Two Ton Question.

Ive recently began coating my jigs and spinnerbait heads with d2t and am a huge fan.

Ive been playing around with some clear powder paint with glimmer effects in place of the clear powder i was using as a top coat before converting to epoxy.

My supply of blue glimmer clear coat has run low and everytime i think to reorder it the seller is always away and not taking orders. So its been unreliable to obtain a steady supply and it is pricey leading me to look for something else.

I know glitter can be added to epoxy after the two parts are thoroughly mixed. My question is has anyone tried mixing the glimmer highlights used in pouring soft plastics with d2t like glitter? The main colors i use are a blue, green, silver and gold glimmer clear coat and im sure ive seen all of those listed for sale somewhere as soft plastic glimmer highlights or something.

As always any information/feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Here is the powder paint i was using

http://r.ebay.com/S9pr0H

The only thing I can tell you to do is try it, the worst that will happen is the D2T won't cure properly. Another thing you can do is take some candy blue and add it in small amounts to clear powder until you get the desired color or effect. I've mixed candy blue and candy green into clear powder and I've also added not only a little of the candy powder but also glitter and applied it over pearl and the result was fantastic. The thing is you'll need scrap metal to try out your mix, to give you an idea, I took 1.5oz of clear gloss powder and added 1 tablespoon of candy blue to it and I got a very light blue tint over the pearl base, but if you want to try adding the highlight to D2T I'd say go for it and let us know the results, you may just end up finding a neat way of finishing a lure that would benefit everyone here.

Thanks. I think ill try one of these, the prices and quantities are low enough and it says it can be dusted onto a lure before a clear coat is applied but i doubt id have much consistency going that route vs mixing it with the epoxy. Will definitely keep everyone posted.

https://www.ispikeit.com/store/c-79-pearl-glow-powders.aspx

Edited by AKFerzy7

I have no experience with powder paints, but have used a good amount of epoxy and can't think of a reason it wouldn't work. I've mixed flake in with epoxy and have even added a few drops of water based paint to color it. I was a bit surprised that the paint worked with no ill effects, but it did.

Ben

• Like 1

Thank you all! Was able to put in a more cost effective order rather than messing around with ordering sample sizes and paying shipping.

Oh and i also just eliminated a tricky, somewhat costly step from my process and thats worth its weight in gold imo. Adding a third layer or powder paint was always a risky deal for me because i dip all of mine and didnt have an adequate collection system for the mini sand blaster on top of the health risks it was always costly as the micro pearl clear coat was easily contaminated.

I love this board, Thanks everybody.

Edited by AKFerzy7

This morning, I needed to order some hooks and a few blades and found this on Jon Barlows "new fishing items" list. He has it in Green, blue, gold and violet. Bit pricey but saw a guy do a crank bait with it and flex coat and gave a beautiful effect. Sure to catch fishermen :-). You add it to your clear coat. I added a couple to my order just to try it.

http://www.barlowstackle.com/Flex-Coat-Iridescent-Glitter-P3368C242.aspx

I'm just a hobby pourer, but this works for me.

You can also try adding your glitter/flakes/hi lite clear nail polish.  I use it to coats jig heads that I've already powder coated to give them contrasting flake, like purple flake over brown powder coat.

I get my clean polish at the dollar store.

With D2t use the 30 minute, not the 5 minute (it yellows). I have never put in a glitter that reacts poorly with it. But I have had bad reactions with water based paint. On larger jigs, as on cranks, you can put different colors on different parts of the bait. For a thinner coat add a drop or two of denatured alcohol. 

Edited by Chuck Young