winterhawk

Heavier Alternative To Mustad 32798

I am looking for a heavier alternative to the Mustad 32798.  I have 3 molds that all take this hook FBB-4H-AFM, ARK-3-AFC, AND THE RWR-3-AYS, and I would like a heavier hook.  I have seen where the Mustad 32796 will work with mods to the mold.  But I am un sure of how to do that and don't want to mess up my mold.  Any and all help, tips, tricks are appreciated here guys. 

Welcome to TU. Majority of all hooks similar in profile will fit most molds. Just a couple of questions first.

Do you have the molds, and the 32796 hooks yet?

If yes, you can then see, that maybe some of the hook sizes may fit in some of the cavity sizes.

Now if you don't, what hooks sizes do you want to fit in which cavity sizes?

Given this information, will give everyone here something to look at and give feedback. Now modifying a mold isn't rocket science, but I will tell you this, it will require a lot of layout time measuring and re-measuring. Do one cavity at a time, so you know what to expect, and check hook fits often to know how much you need to remove. As far as what to use to modify a mold, definitely small hand files, dremel with bits and maybe a drill press if you have one. I don't know what your skill level is as far as hand tools go, but take it slow an pay attention to what you are doing. If you make a little mistake, you can always fix it with JB weld, just don't take off too much. Good luck on your endeavor. I'm sure others will give you more info to ponder over.

• Like 1

I'm glad I found this site.

No I do not have the 32796 hooks yet.  All I have are the 32798s.  I just want to be able to use a little heavier hook with these molds.

Now the 1/8 and 1/4 oz sizes I will continue to use the lighter hooks.  For the 3/8 and 1/2oz sizes using 3/0, 4/0, and 5/0 I wanted something a little heavier.

I have these molds at home, and I do believe I have some hooks as well in the 32796 size. I will check the 3/0, 4/0 and 5/0 in the 3/8 and 1/2 oz sizes and let you know if they fit. I will try to post some pics for you so you can see what the hook looks like in the molds. bear with me as I am at work, and won't be able to post pics until about 7:00PM tonight.

winterhawk,

Sorry I forgot all about this until 10:30 PM. However, I checked the hooks and here is the info. Mind you my molds are used, so they may have some slop.

On your RWR-3-AYS: No 32796 hooks will fit this mold. the biggest cavity on this is 1/4 oz, so maybe you have a wrong mold number.

On your FBB-4H-AFM: The 3/8 oz cavity will accept a 3/0 and the 1/2 oz cavity will accept a 4/0 (32796) with no mods to the mold. The 5/0 (32796) will fit in the 1/2 cavity only, but you may have to open up the hook eye and make it a bit deeper, this is a very simple solution

On your ARK-3-AFC: The 3/8 oz cavity will accept a 3/0 and the 1/2 oz cavity will accept a 4/0 (32796) with no mods to the mold. The 5/0 (32796) will fit in the 1/2 cavity only, but you may have to open up the hook eye and make it a bit deeper, this is a very simple solution.

I hope this helps and sorry for the delay. If you need pics, I can send those as well.

Edited by cadman
  • Like 2

cadman

okay so for the RWR-3_AYS I will stay with the 32798 hooks

as far as the others would you mind sending me some pictures.  This is great info and just what I was looking for.

thank you

I will do it later tonight. The 3/0 and4/0 fit in fine and the mold closes with both halves being tight. The 5/0 if you press the mold halves together on both mold styles, it will close.

winterhawk,

Attached are pics of the FBB-4H-AFM: football jig, this mold is similar to the ARK-3-AFC as far as the 32796 hooks fitting in the cavities.

Top Picture shows the 3/8 and 1/2 oz cavity with a 3/0 in the 3/8 oz and the 4/0 in the 1/2 oz cavity.

Bottom Picture shows the 1/2 oz cavity with a 5/0 hook in there. As you can see the 5/0 hook is crowding the space, especially where the jig collar is at.

32796 hooks.jpg

32796 hooks.jpg

32796 hooks.jpg

32796 hooks.jpg

32796 hooks.jpg

32796 hooks.jpg

32796 hooks.jpg

32796 hooks.jpg

post-13040-0-03992400-1463527424_thumb.jpg