Les Young

When To Add Salt?

Thanks I'm adding before heating, but still not getting the cloudy look. Now all of a sudden I'm getting major flashing & plastic squirting out the end(2 cavities) of the mold & it's never done it before. It's the basstackle 4 inch by flippin hog mold. Pladtic to hot now? Any ideas? Thanks

I wouldn't think salt would make the mold flash and squirt unless you spilled it and it stuck on the face of the mold keeping the two mold halves separated. I have several of those molds and the shoot perfectly. All kidding aside, make sure there's nothing on the face of each half and clamp them well. Also, how much salt are you using? Takes quite a bit to cloud the bait so you might want to try using more salt.

Maybe u have a dirty mold.?

Wipe both sides off and look at it. Make sure the 2 halfs don't rock when you match them together

Some times a little burr or even plastic will make ur molds not completly seal together when u clamp them .

Never heard of salt making a mold flash b4

Edited by archery1

Thanks I'm adding before heating, but still not getting the cloudy look. Now all of a sudden I'm getting major flashing & plastic squirting out the end(2 cavities) of the mold & it's never done it before. It's the basstackle 4 inch by flippin hog mold. Pladtic to hot now? Any ideas? Thanks

You raise a good question about begin to hot. Do you know what your temp is? If you do then you will know it's to hot. If not you need to get something to get a temperature. This will make it a lot easier down the line. Shooting with salt is a lot different than straight plastic.

Monte SS, looks like i have a few more things to buy. lol      Frank, i gave it a few more seconds than needed  i guess & indeed get it hot. I shot close to 100 brush hogs today & never had an issue.  Thanks guys for all the help. I appreciate it

Monte SS, looks like i have a few more things to buy. lol      Frank, i gave it a few more seconds than needed  i guess & indeed get it hot. I shot close to 100 brush hogs today & never had an issue.  Thanks guys for all the help. I appreciate it

But what was the temp?

• Like 1