mark poulson

Why Does Watermelon/red Flake Work?

I don't know why it works, but red flake on bright moonlight nights here will get you bit by a smallmouth. Junebug red, green pumpkin red or black red Colorado blade spinnerbait will get thumped by them. Sometimes the largemouth too, but not nearly as much as smallmouth.

So I get bit on this colored senko and beaver in clear, stained, and dirty water.

Why?  I mean, does it imitate something they eat, or is it just two colors that bass see well?

Could it be anglers have a tendency to put more emphasis on color than they should?   :?

The black may give a stronger silhouette when bass are still in deeper water and looking up. Maybe the red flake sends out a sunfish vibe and the purple a bluegill vibe. Both of these inhabit the shallows during the bass spawn. I can't say why, but black with chart works for me in almost all water conditions. I think the black leaves a great silhouette from below and the chart is highly visible from all other angles. As for the bubble gum - I believe that more and more bass are giving up chewing tobacco. The anti chaw adds seem to be having good effect. I remember when rubber worms were first being made in colors. My reaction was "who on earth is going to catch fish on a purple worm!"

• Like 1

It all has to do with the light penetration in the water. Even if you take any color bait, plastic or hard bait down under water. In a lake or pond NOT A SWIMMING POOL, the color is not the same because of lesser light in the water. Its not the same as the color of a bait out of the water.