fishon-son

Painting 1St Bait..

painted my first bait.  flat colors and took it to the lake.got 4 bass off 3 docks.....but, i never sealed the paint and have some teeth marks...next one  what do you use to seal it with....i dont have a drying wheel so no 2 ton....its a plastic blank.....i have a few sold..lol   and im not a seller . i like to give...no camera for pics sorry...maybe i can i phone one in....its cheesey.....first time spray job..got alot to learn and kind of like it....so lets get me sealed....

Here is a easy way to seal a lure. It will do well for this. Spray Rust-Oleum gloss clear coat in whatever way you like it. They put out a car clear, enamel etc. Four Coates will get you there. It sets up quickly, I didn't allow it to totally dry or I tried letting it dry and scruff it up. Either way will give you a good job. Hang them up nose up. It's easy to fine and pretty cheap.

Make sure the hangers and lip is sealed well. I did mine outside. Let me know how it does for you. B)

Let it fly,

Dale

• Like 2

D2t is one epoxy you can get away with turning by hand. It's so thick it takes time to sag. Moisture cure urethane (MCU) is probably too much of an investment if you are just painting a few or just painting once in a while. With that you can dip the lure and let it run off, dabbing the eye occasionally. Dakota lake tackle has a video on each. And don't worry about those battle scars - plenty of real fish have a few also!

Edited by Chuck Young
  • Like 1

You can topcoat a bait with anything you like and it will fish OK... for awhile at least.  There not many really waterproof and tough finishes that are popular here on TU.  Epoxy or moisture cured urethane, maybe UV cured polyester resin.  Most builders gravitate to one of these sooner or later for good reason.  If you have reasons not to, that's OK too.  Enjoy.

• Like 1

Thinking that it's maybe a few that he was making I throw out one that will do fine for quite some time. Tested and will last. Everybody deserves their opinion even if they tried something or not. I used this product last year and have many baits out there still being fished. Looks just as good.

I guess I could have gone main stream and put products out there like mcu, uv, d2t with the brand names. I've used d2t for a long time. Now I'm using mcu and this product, because of the weight issues. Yep I know you can thin d2t down, but what a hassle. I like the uv idea but I believe mcu is just as good, IMO. Most of these need some sort of a special tool, turner etc or even brushes.

The whole point was what was stated, my first bait, don't have specialized equipment. Figuring that a spray that will last is what was needed. Quick, easy and cheap and no equipment, but will last.

So the debate goes on.

Have a nice day,

Dale

Edited by DaleSW
  • Like 1

I have used Deacon Two Ton for years and still think its is one of the best.  I stopped using brushes and now use cheep disposable makeup double ended foam brushes.  You can get them online for about $5 for 25 for a total of 50 batches.  I found you don't any streaks and not errant brush bristles in your finished coat.  

Brad

• Like 1

I have used Deacon Two Ton for years and still think its is one of the best.  I stopped using brushes and now use cheep disposable makeup double ended foam brushes.  You can get them online for about $5 for 25 for a total of 50 batches.  I found you don't any streaks and not errant brush bristles in your finished coat.  

Brad

had a few bristles on the lure I had to pick out   .ill give those foam brushes a go..thanks

I modify some of the wider brushes I get at Wallmart. They are about 1/2" to 3/4" wide and about 1/8" to 1/16" thick. I cut down the thickness with a pointed pair of scissors. I push one point through and trim off some of the bristles close to the brush handle. Do this on the front and back so you only have a few bristles left. The result is a nice, wide, flexible brush. This brush give you a nice smooth finish. It works a lot faster than the little disposable brushes, allowing the coating of more lures per session. I have made some with plastic and bristle brushes. Both work well. Squeegee out excess epoxy and cleanup with denatured alcohol or acetone. Then wrap tip with paper towel. A good tool is worth cleaning and saving.

• Like 2

the clear worked well...but ,ill need to fish the bait and look for hook marks before i give it a thumbs up...bait looks great..hooks and eyes going on today....im thinking eyes should have been put in place before the clear coat....im a little cheesed at the blanks i got..the bills look like someone ran sandpaper on them....they fish good....

• Like 2

Yes you should always put the eyes on before the clear coat in my opinion. I also give them a little extra by using glue also. Then I clear coat, this will help hold them in place and also help give the eyes a natural look. I have never had any side effects from coating over the eyes.

Take care,

Dale

Never had that happen to me when I used it. Matter of fact the ones I did are still going strong.

You may not be using the same thing. The paint may not be the same either. I use createx and wicked (wicked mainly). I just did some this weekend, they look good. I'm waiting on a airbrush to get here to use on mcu, it will be dedicated to mcu. I'm going to give mcu a try. But yet that product has/is working very well for me.

Sorry to hear about the issue you have,

Dale

Edited by DaleSW