Chuck Young

Best Non Lead Flux For Jig Pouring

A search turned up nothing for me. I am considering branching out to jig, chatter and SB.  No lead, so I am leaning toward a 40/60 bismuth tin alloy that is about 75% the density of lead. What is the best flux to use? Hawn, - if you are out there -  I would love to hear from the undisputed master of all things non-lead.

Flux is used mainly to reverse the oxidation of your lead alloy. The slag/dross that you see floating on the surface of your molten lead alloy is oxidized tin (or other alloying metal).

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/HowTo/Fluxes%20for%20casting%20alloy.pdf

If you use tin, note that it will slowely damage/corrode your melting pot.

http://www.wenesco.com/ceralac.htm

• Like 1

Glaucus, thanks for the links. Interesting reading. I have done a little casting with lead free solder (95/5), since lead is pretty much banned in NH. I have noticed some slag and it probably is oxidized tin. I think any metal, when molten, can pick up contamination from its surroundings. Most pourers work with lead, some of it from scrap. I can see why it would need more fluxing that a purer metal. I'm brand new at this and could be wrong. But I will probably add some kind of flux. 

are you planing to use a certin mold? if not what about tungsten powder and epoxy mixed together or even steel beads and  nails?lashed to hooks a lot of my friends from new york can't use lead so they by some large steel beads insert a nail in it and tie it  to the hook with fly tying thread  but they will bend the nail at a 30* angle so it don't pull out of the thread this is the easiest way to make jigs steel/tungsten  beads you can even get bullet sinker made of the stuff for bass fishing and use a nail same way if after just the weight for jigging if it is a certain molded head your after I would not use flux the flux helps the 95/5 adhere to the surface of what's being soldered so it will adhere to your pot.. and as other said will corrode the pot to the point it is wrecked...you can use 90* and 45 * etc jig hooks with those beads and tungsten weights ...any how just suggestions...   

You are right about the flux. Guess I'll put that out of my mind.

I have a strong reason for not using tungsten. Smelting releases large amounts of mercury into the atmosphere. That mercury ends up in the fish I eat, resulting in strict dietary guidelines for how much fish I can eat. For anyone to suggest tungsten as a solution to lead poisoning in birds I say: "get your priorities in order!" Poisoning my self, my kids, my grandkids, and many generations to come is no solution I want to advocate. People are worth more than birds in my opinion. :flame:

• Like 1