Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KrawdadBill

rattles for crankbaits

7 posts in this topic

What type of rattles do you guys and gals prefer to use when making wood (balsa or cedar) crankbaits? Where can they be purchased? Also where do you prefer to place the rattle for best results?

Addicted to Devcon 2 Ton epoxy :rolleyes:

Bill

Bill,

I use glass rattles that are made here locally. They are made for crankbaits. They have 1 steel piece of shot encased in the glass. I pay about $45.00 per 100. They will fit into anything 1/2 inch or wider. I install them above the belly hook hanger. They add over 1/16 oz to the bait in weight so you might need to adjust your weight in a hardwood bait. I can get you the number for the tackle shop that sells them if you want.

Skeeter

Rattles can be used in almost anything. I drill through the side and glue it in. Fill the holes with whatever and then put your side dot over the hole. Hides it well.

Skeeter

I use spinnerbait rattles. The ones that slip over the hook

and go under the skirt collar. They work great.

Coley

Bill,

I use the same jig rattles that coley uses. They are loud and can be trimmed shorter if they are too long.

Cj,

I've used paddle wire to tie rattles onto the harness. A couple drops of super glue locks it in place, however you should check the clearence on both mold halves before casting. The jig rattles can be trimmed shorter to fit but then you might have to cap the trimmed edge.

Tight lines,

Shawn