goldenshinner

Side Injection Vs Top (Single Port) Injection

Top inject molds are better for making laminates, but I've never had a problem getting consistent laminates with side injection molds as long as they're set up correctly. I prefer my side inject molds over my top inject simply because it's a one and done deal instead of injecting each bait individually.

Depending on the shape I have seen some issues with fill and air trapping on top inject cavities.  They tend to be less in my experience with side inject cavities.  Again of course depending on details.  Others swear they don't know why all molds aren't straight down top inject.  I do tend towards that with the few hard plastic molds (ABS and Acetal mostly) I make (unrelated to bait making), but those plastics fill the molds much differently under much higher pressure. 

Edited by Bob La Londe

side inject is better IMO for 2 reasons. It's easier to vent the baits out the side rather than out the bottom. When you fill it, the glitter will settle on the outside of the bait rather than falling inward into the middle of the bait.

I've never been able to get good laminates with my side injection molds.

I have found that if you are having problems with laminates it has more to do with not having equal pressure or temps are off. 

Here's something to think about, large manufacturers are able to laminate very large production molds with 25 - 200 cavities. They are laid out and function the exact same as a side injection mold, just with a lot more cavities and way longer runner. 

No that is not accurate. Dels in particular has several top inject baits with a single port, multi cavity.

Yes they do.  I have two of the 4" shz molds with a single top port & have never had a single problem with them & i use them every time i pour. Actually the plastic draws way less in these molds as well than the other brand of mold i have.

Edited by Les Young
  • Like 1