jonister

A Little Dilemma

So I have all these lures that I would like to repaint, and practice on, but I would like to strip the paint and leave the detail on. I'm not really sure how to go about striping the paint without damaging the scale pattern on the two, and acetone eats the quikfish when used in quantity. I can't dip in acetone because the paint is peeling off un-evenly. Anyways, I think you guys get my dilemma. Haha. Anything would help. Also, on a side note, does anyone know what the top orange lure is? It has no labeling and looks like a rebel super R but doesn't say so on the bill. I'm asking a lot here, so thanks in advance to any and all who can help!

IMAG0667.jpg

IMAG0667.jpg

IMAG0667.jpg

IMAG0667.jpg

IMAG0667.jpg

IMAG0667.jpg

IMAG0667.jpg

IMAG0667.jpg

post-46110-0-94146400-1466718510_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't even try to remove the old paint. Just give it thin coats, starting with opaque white. There is plenty of texture to those rebel lures. You can actually paint texture onto the smooth ones. 1)Spray a base coat (silver, black, blue) 2) Apply scale mask - TIGHT. 3) Build thin coats of silver or gold. Even two or three light coats is enough. 4) remove scale netting. If the mesh doesn't want to come off, use a pinky  (pencil eraser) until it frees up. You can see this effect on one of my hand carved balsa lures.

pos 002.JPG

pos 002.JPG

pos 002.JPG

pos 002.JPG

pos 002.JPG

pos 002.JPG

pos 002.JPG

pos 002.JPG

post-49113-0-24489000-1466741869_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This is a interesting topic to me because I'm thinking about repainting some I got. I just haven't got around to it yet. I haven't never repainted any either. Some are so old and has no paint damage other then dullness from being in the weather. I just may revamp hooks or not and set them out as a display.

My question is, what would happen at the area that is chipped out, if you just paint over the bait? If you layer out so much to cover the chip out, the paint would be very thick. Sanding would help this but could damage the texture. I believe I have read something about doing this by chemicals.

I do agree that you can create texture in the scales. I put layers on and just before totally dry I pull the mesh off and lightly tap them down very gently. This leaves a raised look and texture. Then heat set.

You may have a answer for my question Chuck, so I'll be following.

Have a great day,

Dale

That are all plastic, I feel like I could build it up on the orange one but on the rebel and the Quikfish they have very good paint and it chips thick so it is too uneven robust paint. Maybe I'll sand the Quikfish. I've done it before but it is just such a pain.

As for the rebel idk yet. I found it in the river so I can't vouch that it is 20 years old but it still looks and runs good so I'm going to use it! Never used one before so who knows what it will catch. Haha!

The reason the rebels have the scrapes in the same place is that those little ridges focus the abrasion into a little area. With little to no topcoat protection, the shine quickly wears off. 20 years? I have had them wear off in a few weeks! Personally, unless it is for a customer, I don't mind a few imperfections. Chips of missing paint do not show much at all under a paint job. Scratches show more, but I don't sweat them either. I have caught plenty of bait sized fish - even adult fish - with scrapes, bites, etc. IMO these could even be a trigger signifying weakened prey. Occasionally I put a bite mark or bleeding gills on a bait. When I repaint these I finish with D2T. The ridges do not stick out after that. 

On that note, I recently found a skinny minnow of unknown origin. I cleaned off thick layers of paint and was left with a chrome blank with about 50% of the scale detail still covered with chips of metalic gold. It looked like crap, but I painted it in a shad pattern anyway. In the end I really liked the extra depth and roughness that it imparted to the lure.

scrap shad 005.JPG

scrap shad 006.JPG

scrap shad 005.JPG

scrap shad 006.JPG

scrap shad 005.JPG

scrap shad 006.JPG

scrap shad 005.JPG

scrap shad 006.JPG

scrap shad 005.JPG

scrap shad 006.JPG

scrap shad 005.JPG

scrap shad 006.JPG

scrap shad 005.JPG

scrap shad 006.JPG

scrap shad 005.JPG

scrap shad 006.JPG

post-49113-0-68061900-1466874937_thumb.jpg

post-49113-0-70184900-1466874947_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Compressed air, I didn't think of that! I have so many Quikfish blanks, it's crazy how many I find. I will try the sand paper, and the compressed air!

@Chuck, I never thought scrapes could add to appeal! I might just end up hitting it with primer and calling it good! We will see where I get this week with painting! Thanks guys!

No Jonister, mine is I know. It's one that I have had for a long time. Did well for many years. Yes Chuck, it's been used most of that time.

If chip out is a problem, one or more of the members have posted about using blasting baking soda and removing paints. I can't tell you how they do it, because I haven't never done it myself. I have a hobby blaster now for powder coating if I need it.

I should have stated it much earlier in this thread. That would eliminate most of the speculations.

Searching should get you there. That's the way to do it right I would believe or ask in a new thread.

Dale

Good to hear they catch fish! I searched through a lot of threads and everything I found either used something like a sand blaster, which I don't have. Or chemicals. I tried gasoline but it didn't work the best. I'm going to try lighter sand paper on some Quikfish, and maybe try primer on them tomorrow and see what they look like.

Oh yeah, I would just bring it in slowly letting it go to about 3-4'. It did good. But as always you get another lure and the older baits get put back in the box or left in and older box in my case.

I cleaned the old boxes out recently and set them back out to give it a try when I can.

Good luck,

Dale

Edited by DaleSW

Jonister, also consider "fuming", this is a process they use to remove layers of paint from old paintings, saw it done years ago when working as a picture framer--
You hang the object on a jar lid and add a small amount of solvent to the jar (attach the lid without the object being immersed in the solvent) until you find the right one to dissolve the top coating, start with turps and work through alcohol, thinners and on to acetone and MEK etc until you find something that will dissolve the coating--
Because it's only fumes attacking the coating and not a liquid, it's pretty mild (and slow).
How much time have you got??
I often use this to clean out an air brush overnight---this is good to strip back plastic lures, BUT keep an eye on it.
Pete

• Like 1

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/15813-old-workovers/

Here is a link to the pic where I painted over old baits that I first made so the epoxy wasnt done right and they were quite beat up. 

I just removed the old eyes with a scalpel and gave them a little sand paper action, painted white on top, added stripes, new eyes and epoxy and I got brand new baits again. I did lose the detail in the gill plates etc but they swim fine and I've caught fish on them, well one of them at least  lol

• Like 2

@hazmail, now that is interesting! I think I might have to try that very soon! I was thinking about trying to paint a few lures today too.

@offshore G, that is what I have slowly been doing to each one now. The flatfish/quikfish are actually really easy to sand. It didn't take me long at all to go through them. I'm going to begin painting here soon so I'll see where I get with them. By the way, those repaints look pretty sick!

Thanks guys, I have some more things to try, I'll see where I get with them. So many projects, just trying to finish them one at a time before I start more! Haha.

Very nice work Offshore. Did any have chip outs? If so what did you do to smooth it out?

@ Hazmail; I've seen something like that looong ago. I forgot all about it until you brought it up. Heck it's been so long ago I maybe getting it mixed up with something else I've seen.It's a grand idea. Like you stated, if you have the time. I haven't had the need to do it tho. I'm going to take one with texture and see what happens.

Mason Jars here I come,

Dale

Edited by DaleSW

I just tried it with acetone, it works great on smooth lures and lures without chrome. For some reason it doesn't eat the chrome very well. I would recommend trying something besides acetone though and the acetone started to eat the plastic on the lures I tried. It didn't get the first layers of paints topcoat off incredibly well though!

IMAG0702.jpg

IMAG0702.jpg

IMAG0702.jpg

IMAG0702.jpg

IMAG0702.jpg

IMAG0702.jpg

IMAG0702.jpg

IMAG0702.jpg

post-46110-0-58886600-1467332386_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

just prime and paint them. They're beat up used lures that who cares if they look good will still catch fish. They're not ferraris. 

FISH DON'T CARE. They have a brain smaller than a pea. 

Edited by Salty's
  • Like 3

just prime and paint them. They're beat up used lures that who cares if they look good will still catch fish. They're not ferraris. 

FISH DON'T CARE. They have a brain smaller than a pea. 

Exactly! 

I just removed the old eyes with a scalpel and gave them a little sand paper action, 

My english is terrible LOL I know you guys understood what I said but that sounds like I sanded the eyes!!!  :lolhuh: 

Even the chipped epoxy with dents and holes paints up just fine, then a new coat of epoxy and your'e winning! 

I just tried it with acetone, it works great on smooth lures and lures without chrome. For some reason it doesn't eat the chrome very well. I would recommend trying something besides acetone though and the acetone started to eat the plastic on the lures I tried. It didn't get the first layers of paints topcoat off incredibly well though!

Acetone is pretty savage but at least it removed the paint--Obviously it's metallic underneath, just leave it a while as the chrome must be glued on with something--I have been using it lately (with thinners) to remove gold leaf, it's all about timing   :eek: .

Pete

Well Pete, your advice turned out to be a good one. I have one in with a thinner in it. With the one that has the paint peeling off. I'll be watching it during the weekend.

Yep I have always said that if the lure catches fish your golden. But at some point Salty I just like something to look close to decent. Lord knows my painting skills needs all the help it can get. :) I strive and try to make my baits look good, but it's a uphill battle.

Have a good one,

Dale

Salty does have a great point! Like what Dale said, my painting needs all the help it can get! Maybe if I leave the lure in the jar, and don't touch it, the paint will just fall off and I can carefully remove the soft lure to let it harden up. Ill try that or maybe some softer solvent.

Exactly Jonister--If you get it right and remove the paint when it starts to ''crinkle'' (maybe brush it off with the same thinners you use) then give it a quick dip in the same clean thinners again you will have no paint and a perfect glossy plastic and it will harden up again---Just don't touch it with your fingers.

]

Dale--after a few hours things will get going, check it every hour - things have a tendency to accelerate when it starts working !!!!

Pete

Edited by hazmail
  • Like 1

Hazmail just said it right! Check it every hour! I let a lure sit overnight and I woke up to a big plastic glob. Haha. I guess I'll have to watch it better. I would really like to see that chrome go away though. The other paint comes off fine but that dang chrome just crinkles into the lure. I'm not sure if it is specific to the brand or if the chrome thing is universal. That might be something to test!

@hazmail, I will try using more thinner to get it off when it crinkles. I tried my fingernail and a scotch brite pad.