trav

Help / Guidence Request

So, forgive me if this is a topic that's been covered many time, Ive spent the last few days searching this forum and haven't found what I think is the answer, or I am not knowledgeable on information in the posts Ive found.....

My question is, what kind or brand of liquid plastic (plastisol???) has the softness of a Huddleston Deluxe 8 inch trout?  I am not just molding a Hudd to make for my own use, nor am I trying to sell any baits, I am just trying to make a swimbait that no one currently offers, and I like the characteristics of the material the Huddleston Deluxe is made of.  I have a master carved from basswood, and have glued on the fins.  Im going to be using Oomoo 30 to make both side of the mold, and Ill be making my own harness from Alumifoam and steel wire.  Im sure Im missing a lot of steps that are required for this process, Im still reading and watching tons of youtube videos in the free time I get.  Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.  And for the record, if Ive overstep any boundaries or  if name dropping a brand of swimbaits is taboo, please forgive me.  Its not my intension to stir up drama, Im just starting to get my feet wet in a hobby that is seeming like its going to be a lot of fun.  Thanks for looking, and hope all is well

Travis

well first off, trial and error is a huge part of what makes this so much fun & rewarding.

im not sure what the huddleston feels like, most of the plastic you will find is going to be within the same range. most plastic retailers offer a soft, medium, and hard mix. medium is going to be the most popular and will feel like most of the plastics you'll find out there from strike king, yum, zoom, ri.

if the huddleston is softer than your normal baits, get a mix of soft plastic but also buy some softener on top of that. if its harder, get hard with hardener. but i'm guessing medium would do the trick.

research on these forums and experimenting yourself is going to give you a journey that is worth as much as the destination if you ask me. a lot of people on here have good ways of doing it, but to be honest there are always new and better ways, find what suits you the best.

• Like 1

When I poured, I had a customer send me a Huddleston.  He wanted a Big Hammer style bait made, but in the firmness of a Huddleston. I made him a couple dozen using MF brand regular plastic.  He said they were perfect.  Now that's just one man's opinion, but I hope it helps.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Was gonna say Hudds are not plastisol. Plastisol as soft as a Hudd with that weight would rip very easily. Hudds also have an internal chamber and not just a harness.

Look in to the silicone used for masks. I forget what its called. It's two part and not heat activated.

• Like 1

I painted baits with Ken some years at a show with spike it. Back when spike its water based paint was being released. He does use the vpi paint from spike it and I am sure it is plastisol. Beck then I even mentioned to the owner of spike it that I though his product were made from another product, he laughed and said Ken was a long time customer. I would start with spike it and go from there. Plus they have five firmness's available but I would lean towards medium or even medium soft for a hud. I am sure you will find a compound they make so a consistent bait will be had for years to come. Compounding your own is fine to but when you start keeping all the variables to a minimum will help with getting what you want.