Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
allstate48

nail polish for paint

6 posts in this topic

Dumb question, but, is it possible to airbrush nail polish? The consistency looks fine, and you could use lacquer thinner for clean up. Good idea, but, will it work? Thanks Doug

Yes, thin with lacquer thinner even though most nail polish is enamel. Thin with lacquer thinner and it will dry quicker as opposed to the dry time when using reducer. You might run into problems if you you topcoating with clear lacquer, don't pile it on or it might wrinkle. Ureathane clear usually will go over it with no problems. Its a cheap way to go if you only need small amounts of some colors, I have known a few custom bike painter's who have used it with no problems.

Check the ingredients part of the bottle. I have found many that were acrylic lacquer. These can be cut and shot though an airbrush with MEK, or Acetone for a thinner. In other words, it's lacquer paint.

Skeeter

Thanks for the replies. I'm using Createx paint.Do I need to put a coat of clear on before I shot the polish, won't the thinner make the acrylic run? Thanks again. You people save alot of time, and trouble. Thanks Doug.

If you know how to dry shoot lacquer you may be able to get by.

Skeeter