SW Lures

Clamps For Stencils

I was going to put this in the “how to" forum area but alas I can’t find it now?   :mad:

I was discussing with several members about how holding stencils is hard for me to do now until I complete the painting. I also paint in some schemes in “intaglio” technique. This is the opposite of relief, which many of you do in plastic baits and in wooden ones also. Relief is where you cut a pattern out of the stencil area and paint inside of it. Using a comb painting the stripes on is relief also, basically. For you artist out there correct me if I’m wrong. 

So with that I came out with these gizmo's (clamps) to help me. They work and I hope they may help some of you.

2rmm7v8.jpg

That is a stencil of an eagles head. I left the out line on so it could be seen. I will paint on the out side with one color then I will take the opposite stencil and paint the inside with another color.

uneo1.jpg

This is a miniature clamp that I use for relief stencils. The clamps work like scissors. These are made from large paper clips, with a plastic coating (tube) over the ends. This clamp can’t be used on the eagles head stencil because it would cover the painting area.

ri5b87.jpg

This one I use now for the stencils that are like the eagles head, where I’m painting to the outside of the stencil. Can you see the SS split ring? Thats to hold the wire together. The split ring just moves up and down freely, you don’t know its there. It is made from welding electrode (SS TIG Rod), it has rubber hose over the ends.

xerh1v.jpg

This clamp is so strong that it’s holding up this pine lure while in a vise. Even on one of the sides you can see the slick stencil film of the eagles head between the clamp and the bait. And, yes it does not hurt water base paints. I heated the ends to make a flat area on it.

Well, Nathan if you can move this I would appreciate it.

I hope this helps, I know it helps me.

Cheers,

:tipsy:

Dale

• Like 1