Offshore G

Mini Compressor Repairs, Easy To Do?

Ok, so my mini compressor is giving me problems. I have a small unit with a 3L tank, it looks like an Iwata smart jet but with a tank attached.  From what the supplier has told me there is some problem with an internal bearing that is causing it to over heat and then switch off.

My question is. Has anyone taken apart their mini compressor and changed a bearing or bearings, is it easy to do?

For me, having never taken one apart, I love the adventure. What you got to loose?

Seeing as how I've always been curious about how things work I'd have to do like Glenn said and tear into it. That is if I had a good feeling that it was destined for the scrap heap in the near future anyway.

If you wanted to be on the safe side you could always order a new compressor and hope that one keeps working until the new one comes in. Then you could take it apart without the stress of knowing you'd be shut down if it was beyond repair. The upside would be that you could fix it and would then have a backup compressor.

Do yourself a favor if you decide to give repairing it a try. At the very least lay out the pieces as they come apart. If you have a video cam set the camera up on a tripod and record the tear down. Even still photos will help when it comes time to put things back together.

good luck,

Ben

• Like 3

I replaced the plastic fan in my wobble compressor.  Unfortunately, I waited ten years between buying the replacement fan and installing it.  One of the hazards of having lots of construction equipment.

Because the compressor had an eccentric motion, the fan came with several different mounting holes, and I had forgotten exactly how the fan oriented.

I wish I had had a cellphone camera back when I took it apart.

I mounted the new fan, and turned it by hand a lot, just to be sure it was oriented correctly before I turned the compressor on.  Even then, my heart was in my throat when I hit the switch the first time.

Do like Ben says, and take lots of pictures!

• Like 1

One thing about it G. When I screw something up it STAYS screwed up. :yes: That's one reason I own so many hammers. ;)

Ben

Dude, 

I almost spat my tea all over the computer screen ! You're killing me!! hahahaha

Well, I was going to ask you to open up my compressor but maybe not?  :lolhuh:  :eek:

Have a great day that side,

G

• Like 1

I don't really like hammering nails Bob. The hammers you get to use are kinda small for my taste. Driving a 4" steel pin into a derrick connection with a 20 lb. hammer will let you really release all those inner frustrations. B)

Ben

I'm usually the guy hanging above you guys at the top of the derrick with a torque wrench. I'll stay away from the drill floor from now on :P 

• Like 1

So I took the thing apart, was actually quite easy. I put all the parts and screws in separate little tubs in order of disassembly. 

The bearings seemed totally fine, were smooth and didnt appear to need replacing. 

I put it back together and didn't have any spare pieces or screws left so that was a result.  :lolhuh:

No over heating issues for now so will just keep an eye on it. 

• Like 1

For me, it's those little wire clips that keep the ball bearing in its recess in the off side of a bait casting reel. Fortunately, reels work OK without them. I'm sure if I ever move my 800 lb workbench, there will be several of the darned things behind there somewhere. I did eventually learn how to remove them without them flying off into Neverland.

• Like 3