dmaiden38

Gluing Crankbait Bills

I like using a 30 minute epoxy such as Devcon 2 Ton or Bob Smith Industries. The 30 minute epoxies give me a little longer working time to make sure the lips are positioned correctly. The 30 minute varieties aren't as prone to yellowing as their 5 minute counterparts and the 5 minute epoxies aren't waterproof either.

Ben

Fished many Poes?   :lolhuh:

You guys made me crack a smile when mentioning lips falling out,  the yellow concern, and waterproofing as well all are essentially characteristics of  Poes (ok some years/decades).  Heck thank Poes deep divers for a lot of what we do with lure customization.  I think most that fished these baits carried superglue, fingernail polish, and 5 minute epoxy in the boat for on the water repairs.   :oooh:     I would have no issues with Devcon 5 minute.

Poe's are notorious for yellowing topcoats and very poorly sealed baits based on their construction.  The topcoats spiderweb, crack, and fail frequently.  Typically the lips are much more prone to fall out of the "newer" mid 90's stuff (Mexico) and I can't say about anything since that time period.  The late 80's Poes not near the issue from my experiences but my stash has slowly dwindled over the years (probably had just over 100 at one point).  Yellowing topcoats were very common and some might of even left them out in the sun to fade colors and get a lovely yellow hued clear coat (maybe even some pesky crankers from Lexington, NC).

Guess what baits are the same color?  

DSC_0395_zpsuaxxawlq.jpg

Very typical of mid 90's stuff.  Lips can be removed by hand usually with little effort and the large crack running on belly and the small fractures (more difficult to see) near the lip and  pretty much across the front half of the bait.

DSC_0397_zpsdbgmgntz.jpg

Several here likely spent a lot of time modifying and repairing these baits at one point.

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1

Fished many Poes?   :lolhuh:

You guys made me crack a smile when mentioning lips falling out,  the yellow concern, and waterproofing as well all are essentially characteristics of  Poes (ok some years/decades).  Heck thank Poes deep divers for a lot of what we do with lure customization.  I think most that fished these baits carried superglue, fingernail polish, and 5 minute epoxy in the boat for on the water repairs.   :oooh:     I would have no issues with Devcon 5 minute.

Poe's are notorious for yellowing topcoats and very poorly sealed baits based on their construction.  The topcoats spiderweb, crack, and fail frequently.  Typically the lips are much more prone to fall out of the "newer" mid 90's stuff (Mexico) and I can't say about anything since that time period.  The late 80's Poes not near the issue from my experiences but my stash has slowly dwindled over the years (probably had just over 100 at one point).  Yellowing topcoats were very common and some might of even left them out in the sun to fade colors and get a lovely yellow hued clear coat (maybe even some pesky crankers from Lexington, NC).

Guess what baits are the same color?  

DSC_0395_zpsuaxxawlq.jpg

Very typical of mid 90's stuff.  Lips can be removed by hand usually with little effort and the large crack running on belly and the small fractures (more difficult to see) near the lip and  pretty much across the front half of the bait.

DSC_0397_zpsdbgmgntz.jpg

Several here likely spent a lot of time modifying and repairing these baits at one point.

You are 100% correct Travis. I caught a lot of fish on Poe's over the years, but finally got fed up with the poor quality of them. Not only do they have all the problems you mentioned, but if you look down the belly of the bait you'll notice the tail and belly hook hangers don't line up with the line tie on a lot of them. And speaking of the line tie......they will work loose which makes it impossible to keep them in tune. Quality control must have been nonexistent at Poe's.

I hadn't started building, painting and repairing cranks back when I fished the Poe's so most of them got stashed away and eventually disappeared.

Ben

• Like 2

You are 100% correct Travis. I caught a lot of fish on Poe's over the years, but finally got fed up with the poor quality of them. Not only do they have all the problems you mentioned, but if you look down the belly of the bait you'll notice the tail and belly hook hangers don't line up with the line tie on a lot of them. And speaking of the line tie......they will work loose which makes it impossible to keep them in tune. Quality control must have been nonexistent at Poe's.

I hadn't started building, painting and repairing cranks back when I fished the Poe's so most of them got stashed away and eventually disappeared.

Ben

Dead on Ben.  Amazing all the issues they had but at the same time you had some very good baits that really brought structure cranking to popularity.   I would still take them over a lot of the cranks today however.   

• Like 1

I was given a couple dozen Mexico Poe's by a buddy which all had the bills installed crooked.  The lip slot had been cut slightly off, just enough to make the baits do barrel rolls.  They also had varying degrees of cracking, and misaligned line ties and hook hangers.

My job was to straighten the bills, fix the line ties/hook hangers, repaint, and re topcoat.  He also wanted them turned into suspenders/slow rise.

I wasn't sure it was even possible, but I said I'd try.

I used my heat gun to soften the bill on my test bait, and was able to twist it back to square, without it coming loose or cracking.

Once I figured out how to do it, I was able to re manufacture all the baits.

But getting them to suspend was more time consuming.  

No two baits weighed the same, so each had to be ballasted individually, by adding a little too much lead, and then drilling out enough to get them right.

What a pain!

I wound up using Solarez to topcoat them, and dipped the bills, too, just in case heating had weakened them.  Just a little reinforcement.

I told him, next time, I'd just buy him some new baits that worked!

I've made several knockoffs using the Poe's deep diver as a model.  They fish well, but no better than a lot of stuff on the market right now.  

The main thing that sets the old baits apart, to me, like a lot of the older wooden baits, is that they are silent, and the brass screw eyes seem to deaden the hook rattle sound a bit.

So they are stealthier.  

Plus, because of the lousy manufacturing, a lot of them kicked out at a certain speed, so they had a hunting action, by accident.

I still throw throw them without hesitation and in some instance my go to.   While they were riddled with issue dependent upon when you got them I wouldn't give up on a good bait.

And some of the Poe's were REALLY good baits and it's not that difficult to fix those with issues. Doing a restoration on a Poe's is no more difficult than refurbishing any other wooden bait. Well, maybe a little more, but most people that fish wooden baits know there is a life expectancy on them if they are fish catchers and are used much. It's just part of the game.

Wish Skeeter would weigh in on this thread. He has a huge knowledge of the Poe's baits and has fished and fixed a lot of them.

Ben

• Like 1

I would say most of you know that I fish deep in some instances. I'm not familiar with the Poe's. However the shape and look interests me, including the deep diving ability. I've been reading the comments but I keep looking at the bottom picture of Travis's post. Evidently all of you liked them but quality was the issue. Maybe I have seen one but just don't remember the name.

I also don't normally copy a product, but this one would be one that I would try. I need to see if I can find one or two.

I will assume the name is marked on the lip..?

Dale

Edited by DaleSW

I would say most of you know that I fish deep in some instances. I'm not familiar with the Poe's. However the shape and look interests me, including the deep diving ability. I've been reading the comments but I keep look at the bottom picture of Travis's post. Evidently all of you liked them but quality was the issue. Maybe I have seen one but just don't remember the name.

I also don't normally copy a product, but this one would be one that I would try. I need to see if I can find one or two.

Dale

Most of the old Poe's have a very distinctive shape and look. If you've ever seen one you'll most likely recognize them. Last time I checked some of them were still being manufactured. Just have a look on Ebay or do a search for Yakima Bait Co.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy
  • Like 1

Lol, I'm more familiar with other products that this company makes. I just never payed a lot of attention to the company name (main manufacturer).

If Skeeter is the expert Ben, I would like to hear his thoughts about con's and pro's also.

Thanks Ben,

ps, it seems that several here on this thread have been fishing/repairing/cursing them from the past....they are experts to. :)

Edited by DaleSW

I would say most of you know that I fish deep in some instances. I'm not familiar with the Poe's. However the shape and look interests me, including the deep diving ability. I've been reading the comments but I keep looking at the bottom picture of Travis's post. Evidently all of you liked them but quality was the issue. Maybe I have seen one but just don't remember the name.

Dale

i was thinking the same thing... i dig the body shape of that one!.... i don't like copy cating either, but i walk the line by copying "features"..... in the end, its still my design, with a few "added considerations"

on my recent cranks, i "stole" the nose off a popular blank guys here use alot (after fishing one sent from a friend)... my body is different size and shape, so i still consider it my design.... but the nose gave me a much better action than on my previous designs

in this case, im interested by the hunched back