Deuce

Bubbles- Advice Needed

Im sure this has been talked about a bunch so i apologize in advance if Im beating a dead horse...  Been injecting for about a year and have tried a few different plastics M-F saltwater, essential series, & spike lure works. So far the M-F has been my favorite and was the first plastic i used. Currently have 20 gal of spike it that is giving me hell!! The micro bubble content is insane. I switched from microwave to a presto this evening and the bubble content reduced but there is still a large amount of bubbles. Now this being the first time i used a presto Im thinking maybe my process is flawed. So here is what i did:

- Poured 4 cups of room temp plastic

- Brought temp up to 225 while stiring

- Increased to 300 while stiring 

- then when plastic began to thicken and clear up brought it up to 350 stiring

- once plastic reached 350 i dropped the pot to about 335-340 and kept stiring

- added necessary color and such then began injecting.

Thankfully i was injecting a solid black bait so the micro bubbles didnt really show but im still floored. Should i just scrap all this plastic and go back to M-F? Or should i give calhouns a try? Thank you for your input!!

Tight Lines!!

Some plastics bubble.  Plain and simple.  Some guys deal with it on a daily basis and it works for them.  I didn't have the patience, which is why I always went back to MF.  Not trying to start a plastic war........it is what it is. 

What are your thoughts on calhouns? Looking like ill be ordering MF today but just trying to feel all my options out.

That has crossed my mind a couple times but man i hate to have to put the extra time and money into  this plastic to get it to work.. But you could be right just gotta deal with it sometimes.

No you don't have to deal with it ever if you know how to get rid of them. It has been said many times on here how to get rid of the bubbles 100%. I will tell you how. If you buy spike it injectasol you will need to vacumn it to get bubble free plastic. If you buy the pourasol it has been vacumned but you still need to mix it so you might get air back in it, not as bad but still some. To vacumn it you will need a pump that will draw a vacumn down to 29.4hg or lower(not many will go much lower). There are plenty kits available on eBay or go to best value vacs. Get a chamber that is at least three time bigger than the amount you want to vacumn as it will grow till the bubbles pop and reseed back to normal state.

If you think you are spending more money to get bubble free plastic then think about this, I buy a drum of plastic for around say 600 and a vacumn unit for 200 it is still 400 cheaper than one drum of plastic that does not bubble as much. In the long run you will save time and time again. There are many ways to make plastic for this industry and some cost more but does not make them better.

Another thing I do is to put the plastic from the drum into five gallon pails with a screw on lid. This way you can get a full size paint mixer on a drill in and mix it in seconds. Then transfer it to the vacumn unit turn on and in a minute or so you will have plastic that is bubble free 100%. The plastic left in the container can be mixed with the same drill as the pail so when you need to do more just mix the container and then the pail and do it again.

What are your thoughts on calhouns? Looking like ill be ordering MF today but just trying to feel all my options out.

Old Calhoun was miserable to work with, but I hear they've made some vast improvements.  I can't really comment on their product the past few years. 

My story was the same every time.  I'm using MF and very happy with it, then I get an offer that I can't refuse from another company.  Try it out.......it either bubbles, stinks, inconsistent, or all of the above.  Boom......back to MF!  It IS a little pricey, but it worked for me.  Didn't really have the time to mess around with plastic just to make it workable.

Again, please understand this was years ago and that's what worked for ME.  Improvements have been made, so it might be worth your while to call Calhoun (or any other brand you might wanna try for that matter) and see if they'll send you a sample.  Couldn't hurt! 

No you don't have to deal with it ever if you know how to get rid of them. It has been said many times on here how to get rid of the bubbles 100%. I will tell you how. If you buy spike it injectasol you will need to vacumn it to get bubble free plastic. If you buy the pourasol it has been vacumned but you still need to mix it so you might get air back in it, not as bad but still some. To vacumn it you will need a pump that will draw a vacumn down to 29.4hg or lower(not many will go much lower). There are plenty kits available on eBay or go to best value vacs. Get a chamber that is at least three time bigger than the amount you want to vacumn as it will grow till the bubbles pop and reseed back to normal state.

If you think you are spending more money to get bubble free plastic then think about this, I buy a drum of plastic for around say 600 and a vacumn unit for 200 it is still 400 cheaper than one drum of plastic that does not bubble as much. In the long run you will save time and time again. There are many ways to make plastic for this industry and some cost more but does not make them better.

Another thing I do is to put the plastic from the drum into five gallon pails with a screw on lid. This way you can get a full size paint mixer on a drill in and mix it in seconds. Then transfer it to the vacumn unit turn on and in a minute or so you will have plastic that is bubble free 100%. The plastic left in the container can be mixed with the same drill as the pail so when you need to do more just mix the container and then the pail and do it again.

Really appreciate the advice, ordering a vac asap. Makes alot more sense to treat the problem myself instead of chasing the dream of bubble free plastic. Thanks!!

Really appreciate the advice, ordering a vac asap. Makes alot more sense to treat the problem myself instead of chasing the dream of bubble free plastic. Thanks!!

You got it! With the ball in your court it is way easier to get what you want and be able to solve any problem you may encounter along the way. I don't see it as being trouble, it's a system that works every time for anyone who wants to try it and stick to it. Basically it is what most of them do at the factory/manufacturers to get bubble free plastic.