fishon-son

Lee Pot

can you burn the lead in the pot?   whats a good setting to use  first time pot user..my jigs turn out great  but, i kept hearing a popping sound...started out all the way up then down to 6..i used wax to clean the lead...lead was part of a 30lb  bar i had..made 10 1 oz. jigs for walleye fishing in the detroit river....round ball with barb

You really can't burn lead. However it can get too hot. When lead is too hot, it turns a gold color with a rainbow effect on the top. You can still pour it. One thing you do not want to do is let the lead get so hot that it will boil. The vapors are very harmful to breathe, however your pot if it is a Lee IV should never get that hot.

The popping sound good be the pot heating up. I keep my Lee IV on #7.

• Like 1

it is a lee iv pro pot.....im seeing the dollars savings already    i need to get some powder paint  in white....that was the trick last year in the river   those eyes wanted a white head......i think we spend $100 on jigs last year....

I can help you with some powder paint. PM me your e-mail.

• Like 1

Tapupa you are exactly right. Of course this can happen with smaller hooks the most. Have the lead just hot enough to flow through the mold cavity completely. Most people run at 6 or 7. I heat the lead at 8 then I turn it back to 6.

Preheat your mold up with dummy pours (no hooks), then remelt them. Get the mold nice and hot. The temperature to start pouring depends on the lure size and mold size, ambient temperature etc, time in pouring will teach you when to start. For most of my molds I run 6-10 runs, then I start pouring my heads with hooks. Now when I'm pouring ballast lead (hard bait belly weight), I may just run 3-6 runs. I'm trying to show that it depends on what mold you are using.

Good luck

• Like 1

Normally yes, there are many techniques that you can do with powder coating.

One color is this;

1) get everything ready to coat. This includes cleaning up the pours.

2)Then you heat the head with a touch or a heat gun. Then swirl the head around in the jar. Then tap the lure off in the jar.

3) put that one to the side and do another.

4) optional, get a toaster oven and bake them when you are finish coating them. Bake them around 250-300° for about 20-25 mins. I use the grid that came with the oven to hange my lures in the oven.

5) if no oven then make the coating smooth with your original heat source. Don't scorch the coating.

Be safe with the heated parts. Take your time. Later take a look at fluid beds.

Look on YouTube, there are some good videos.

Good luck,

Dale

Edited by DaleSW