MonteSS

Glass Beads

Monte do you ever have any problems with the beads scratching your injector? I tried using 1/4 cup bead media and cup of plastic a while back and my injector jammed up. would not move. Got it apart but had to beat it apart. Really scratched my injector, But I sanded and polished it out so it works good now. May have not had it mixed well or my beads was too course. I ordered those from ebay and when i try to compare the bead media you use to the kind I got from work its hard to tell a difference. But they are so tiny lol. Your baits look great thanks for sharing.

Here is my injector

Man, that looks terrible!

The grit I've been injecting is 80 grit+- and the new stuff I just got from Ebay says 70-100 grit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-LBS-Glass-Bead-Medium-Grit-MIL-SPEC-8-70-100-grit-Sand-Blasting-Abrasive-/111672165459?hash=item1a002e0453:g:VocAAOxydgZTKU6c

I spray the inside of my injector with spray PAM after each injection.

Bear in mind I'm just a hobby pourer.

Potters Highway Safety Spheres - Never Injected with them, only hand pour. 

50 pounds is a lot i got the Harbor Freight 25 pound box it works just fine. the trick to keeping it clear is mixing the beads into uncooked plastic

Edited by ronald rig1

wonder whats the big difference between do-it's hd stuff and the glass bead media we can by from harbor/ebay/amazon etc. ? the do-it hd stuff does make baits greyish but with dark colors it's fine. And it DOES NOT scratch ur injector .

well the HD stuff is a paste of silica from what i understand, and the glass beads are fine individual pieces that are translucent.

glass vs sand

I tried the glass beads Monte SS recommended.The end of the plunger and quad "O"ring scratched moderately after running 2 cups of the specified plastisol/glass bead mix through. The injector did jam slightly on start-up each time. I can imagine more severe and possibly detrimental scratching if use often. I will not run this through my two color injection system.Years of injecting a custom salt/sand mix caused "O" damage to all injectors and the two color system.

The new Polysil plastisol is the clearest and most heat tolerate plastisol I've used to date. That being said, more tests w/ varied media and use of glass beads w/ Polysil is necessary. Placing newly injected baits on a hard service then placing them in a garage where temps reach 95 degrees caused them to bleed a greasy residue. Placing the baits on a porous surface eliminated this as the surface absorbs the slime.

Schools still out but time will tell  :halo: 

• Like 3

The new Polysil plastisol is the clearest and most heat tolerate plastisol I've used to date. That being said, more tests w/ varied media and use of glass beads w/ Polysil is necessary. Placing newly injected baits on a hard service then placing them in a garage where temps reach 95 degrees caused them to bleed a greasy residue. Placing the baits on a porous surface eliminated this as the surface absorbs the slime.

Schools still out but time will tell  :halo:

I really want the Polysil to work out since they are nearby and it would save me shipping cost. The sample baits I made with the material also oozed a greasy residue and I advised them of same. I am waiting on a "non-slick" material sample. In the meantime I bought more MF super-soft for making jig trailers.

I agree with Monte SS 100%. I have one injector dedicated to glass beads, a Caney Creek (now do-it). It's well worth the wear for the final product. I also recommend a silicone cup as the beads scratch Pyrex too.

I also agree with Smallmouthaholic that glass beads shouldn't be run through a shooting star system. I could imagine damage not only to the injector but the pots and valve assembly.

Overall I love this for baits I want weighted and transparent.(Now that I have the right media)

• Like 2