MonteSS

Glass Beads

Reviving this thread a little because I'm curious about using glass beads over salt. Is the debate still going on 4 years after this last post?. seems like for selling they aren't good due to durability, and they do create more translucency than using salt which can be good or bad depending on the color yur going for. There's also the tendency to scratch the injector. Where does everyone stand on this now?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-lbs-Glass-Bead-MIL-11-120-200-grit-Reborn-Doll-Coarse-Media-Abrasive/173988314772?hash=item288282fe94:g:Y-0AAOSwRs1dSWUh

I’ve been using them for at least four years. I still use the same injector since I started using them. Yes they scratch but not to the point of total failure . I have had to change the oring twice but no biggie. My sticks I use a mix of beads and salt. Durability is better however I make mine super soft so I tend to go through a lot.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 7:35 PM, wallyc14 said:

I’ve been using them for at least four years. I still use the same injector since I started using them. Yes they scratch but not to the point of total failure . I have had to change the oring twice but no biggie. My sticks I use a mix of beads and salt. Durability is better however I make mine super soft so I tend to go through a lot.

Same here, I've been using the same recipe pretty much, and have been for the same amount of time. The inside of my injector is scored, but if it's still functional who cares? I've only replaced on O ring during this time.

On 7/24/2016 at 10:44 AM, MonteSS said:

Here is why I use them. Transparent baits that show color and flake great. Same softness and sink rate as real Senko but more durable. I can even make clear baits.

DSCN3476_zpszrhpe8at.jpg

I know this post is from another lifetime ago, but I can never seem to get my baits that clear. I do have a question though.

Have you ever weighed your stick baits? I try to get my 5" senko type as close to 10g-11g. Thats what most senkos I've weighed come out to.

• Like 1

Mine weigh about the same. I use a combo of salt and 70-100 glass beads.  I mainly add salt because I've given up trying to make clear baits. Ive tried using only glass but still not clear.

Color I'm most trying to duplicate is Yamo 197  It.s nearly impossible. And after the first reheat the plastisol stsrts to yellow even at low temps. adding stabilizer is no help because it has a yellowish tint to it.

That's really the only color I have problems with.GARY YAMAMOTO 5 INCH SENKO - Northwoods Wholesale OutletYamamoto 197

Deadly on clear water smallmouth in these parts