MonteSS

My Post Closed

I'm guessing it's because you posted several pictures of your baits, not just one to illustrate your point.

It's always a judgement call whether a picture should be posted here, and I'd probably err on the side of more, but then this forum would turn into a gallery of everyone's work.

I just post them to the appropriate gallery, and add a link here.

I think its ridiculous how tightly this place is micro managed sometimes. They say it'll clog the page up but they will let a two page pissing contest about whatever go on and on. I think pictures are a great thing. We aren't making invisible baits. I wish they were much more lenient on posting pics in the main forum and made it much easier to post pictures in general. But whatever, I enjoyed the picks Monte, thanks for posting them. I for one have a different viewpoint on sinking additives now. And Mark, I feel like multiple pictures showing a variety of colors was helpful to prove the point of no discoloration from the glass beads across the color spectrum (even laminates). This kind of stuff can run off good contributing members. End of rant.

• Like 2

I actually protested your post being locked because I felt it was an educational post showing an option for making baits with a different product than a lot of us use.  I felt it was not just showing off pictures of your baits.  I was told it was a fence rider and it was only locked because somebody complained. 

On the flip side I know how hard it is to manage a forum, and this one will be harder than most with many more members than any of those I manage.  Sometimes it can be hard to make a call about something. 

Edited by Bob La Londe
  • Like 3

Yes the post was reported because of the pictures.  Unfortunately, rules are rules.  Personally, I HATE feeling like we are "micro managing," but pictures are simply not allowed in the forums.  I would suggest putting them in the gallery, and if someone has a question, direct them to it.

Sorry, fellas.  Not trying to create enemies here.  Just keeping things as level as possible. 

• Like 4

Are pictures "not allowed" or are they only allowed to provide information or aid in a discussion? Because I personally feel like all the pictures showed the effectiveness of the beads across differing colors.

And how about this, if the original poster is going to be reprimanded publicly and get their thread deleted why does the tattle tale get act in anonymity? I mean we already lost a great member because of "interpretation" of these rules. Things need to be black and white when it comes to rules so that nobody's opinion/feelings/butt hurtness has anything to do with enforcing the rules. I mean one person's view of informative is obviously the same as another's view of just chit chat. I mean how do you enforce "opinion"????

I don't think naming the "tattle tale" serves any purpose, other than to give us someone to blame.

I think it is pointless to argue over the rules.  They are how this site is managed.

If we break the rules, we are to blame.  Kinda like when we get pulled over for not wearing our seat belts.  It's our own damn fault!

I don't think the rules on this site are "against" anyone.  They are there to keep this most excellent site working, and they are what the site managers feel serves it best..

I used to be one of those people who skipped reading the instructions until I'd already tried, and failed, to do something.

Over time (far too much time) I've learned to read them before I begin.

So I read the forum rules, and learned how to post pictures in the galleries.

We don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks for the support guys. I have posted alot of pics on this site in the past and never had a prob. I have answered many peoples' questions with a pic showing an example of color, bait style or whatnot. Guess I'm a troublemaker as I will continue to do so till I get another warning, then I'm out. This site needs experienced people more than I need it. So ban me if you want, it's your loss

....Peace

Edited by MonteSS
  • Like 3

I am a member of several forums on various subjects (even photography) and they all allow photos in threads.  Guess what...it isn't an issue any of those forums.    They also usually galleries that people can search...example  walnut, kitchen table, inlay and it will pull up those specific photos in the gallery.      You will see  50K posts in those threads  that are actively followed and participated by many people and are frequently a big drawing force for the site.  They put photos in their threads and from one photo their will be 2 pages of discussion generated (a few looks good, that a boy typical gallery responses) but majority legit discussion off of simple hey look at this fish, this hand plane I restored, look of this photo of blah blah library in Spain I took, etc....  The links to the thread are used in all sorts of other forums and in some instance even in magazines!   

I don't think anyone wants to see individual pictures of every junebug senko I poured in the last batch of 100 and if someone does then remove it. 

The fear of  photos is really an archaic throwback out of touch with mainstream use age in today's society and along with technology has quickly made the need for changes.  It is no longer about performance in downloading times or other outdated reasons.   Simply all content is being supplied by us and it would seam rules should be reviewed and changed a little more frequently and based upon making the site continue to function in a manner relevant with today's standards.  Heck anyone that follows the forums leans in short order you can skip posts by some individuals once you find out the content you are interested in is rarely there.  I do on most all sites. Skip the junk from people that put in photos if you want.   Yes you may miss a gem every now and then but no big deal.   I don't think the site is overly moderated but then I do skip a lot of posts and open a few sections rarely.  

Reinvent the wheel no....get rid of the horse and buggy for an automobile yes.   :lolhuh:

Yes for some members on this site there is some sort of positive reinforcement they get at being the photo police (perhaps not getting that hall monitor vest in those early years).  If it makes them feel better then good we all get sanctification from different things.   On another site I visit their are two guys (mid 70's) that are the spam police.  They start a thread letting the site administrator and moderators about the spam,  will post in several active threads to be careful their spam on the site, sent out pms, etc...as evidently no one would guess the link in their pm to Russian mail order brides isn't part of the wood working site.  Another site I frequent it is the gallery police, like clockwork a post will pop up telling everyone how horrible it is they don't comment on the new gallery entries.  They spend every morning pasting "Nice work  (insert users name) I admire your (insert project)."   You rarely see anything from them anywhere but the gallery posts but if that is what floats their boat fine. 

Edited by Travis

So....

How about a review of the rules? It seems the majority feel like the no photos doesn't make sense, surely rules can be adjusted to improve the forums?

I am completely computer illiterate, and have no idea what is involved with the site and it's setup.

I would PM Nathan and ask him about a rules review/change.

Well answering a question with a photo is a good way to get your point across, starting a post with a photo just to show what you did with something belongs in the gallery. If you think a photo showing a baits color without a how I did it and a formula is an answer to the all important question of salt or media and colors then why not post in the gallery and let someone ask the question there. You say no one goes there well start a new trend and make it your own place of sort. There are a lot of people here that made this place a place for questions to be answered and if it takes a picture to get your point across then so be it. Some want to compare this site with others but this site in my opinion has been around pretty long with out a rule change so why change now? You want a site full of anything someone wants to post then start your own and see how it goes. This way has worked out good for years like this and I don't want it to stray into that kinda forum. I too have helped out a lot of people here but don't want to see, look what I did stuff. Maybe just me but thats my opinion. Call me a hall monitor,photo police or what ever.

• Like 2

OK. Might as well throw my :twocents: in.

I can definitely see the need for not being able to post ANY & ALL pictures in the discussion forums. This would only increase the amount of content someone had to wade through to get the answers they're looking for. There is absolutely no need in posting "Hey look at what I did" pictures in the discussion forums. If someone has a question, or an answer, that can be better explained by posting a picture then by all means post the appropriate picture in the discussion thread. The website rules plainly state how, when and where pictures can be posted.

Should the thread in question have been locked? Personally I don't think so. I don't pour plastics, but it was obvious to me that the glass beads that Monte uses don't cloud the plastic like salt does. You could explain this until the cows came home and you still won't get your point across like a picture will.

Was the thread locked by the picture police, micro managers, or whatever derogatory term you want to use just because they had an axe to grind? I highly doubt it. Different people have different opinions and just because they don't align with yours is no need to go off on them. They might not have looked at the post in the same way some of the rest of us did. It's also entirely possible they were having a bad day. Am I the only one that's ever made a mistake and later realized it might not have been the best thing to do at the time? All that giving me hell about out it is going to do is make me dig my heels in and go into defense mode. There's enough of that going on in politics and we sure don't need that kind of crap here.

just my :twocents: ,

Ben

• Like 2

its the most (or only) misunderstood rule here and it brings attitude into a normally (most of the time) tude free environment

should it be changed?... that is worthy of debate, easy to see both sides

but.... i dont recall any fines being issued or any lures confiscated... so i cant understand the negativity

I think it outdated, as stated any excuse about bogging down this or that is out moded, I like many others

Learn better from pictures and banning the use of them in an educational post is stupid. Common sense from the admits is non existent. Clearly see it intent was to teach, the excuse about people posting show off pictures is also out dated, again common sense. If you ban to many things the most important aspect of this site will be list, that is experienced makers. This site is crap if the guts that know how to do stuff leave.

Alas it not my site and those who run it or Ian it need to also listen to its users, something this site claims to do but does not show, action always speak louder. Time for an upgrade in policy, I know what it takes to run and moderate and I have no love for it but being up to date with its members goes with the job

Personally I am a visual learner. You can tell me something 3 times or show me once. I find pics like this very beneficial. Some guys know how to post a link to the gallery, some don't. When I have to hunt thru the gallery to find someone's pic it tends to cause me a loss of continuity with the thread. That's probably just me. I haven't been a member here real long but I think I've only seen a couple people abuse the show and tell pics in the threads rule since I've been around. I don't think MonteSS abused this rule at all and the resulting decision was a little heavy handed. Not to rip on the mod, it sounds like a judgement call. This is the most mild mannered, well behaved forum I am a part of. I would like to see this rule relaxed some. I know that leaves the interpretation of the rule in question. For me this website is about learning, teaching and sharing info for the benefit of everyone and the rigidity of this rule is archaic. My.02

• Like 2

I personally enjoy reading the forums, and don't mind having to go to the galleries to look at the pictures.

But I grew up reading books and newspapers, and still enjoy them more than reading a book online.

For me, once I learned how to do it, adding a link here to pictures in the Gallery is easy.  I just wish it would open in a separate window, so I could go back and forth to look at the things the poster talks about here.

As it is now, I reopen TU and open the link in that tab so I can have it handy during the discussion.

As to whether or not the site needs to update it's policy, I am so slow on a computer that I feel like a dinosaur.  Between being of a generation where computers are still amazing, like the bar code readers in markets, and having a pair of hands that no longer work at warp speed, I struggle with all the new features.

Having said that, my kids fly on all the devices.  Their computer skills are light years ahead of mine.  It's like it's in their DNA, but they have been learning it since grammar school.

So what is a struggle for me is easy for them, and I can see how the forum rules could be frustrating for people who grew up with the technology.

Maybe the mods are more like me.

• Like 2

The first image was acceptable and within context. The subsequent images were superfluous and (to me) became more about the lures than the glass beads.

No, I did not report the thread!

I think the thread would have been more useful if the images were close-up of partial lures, showing salted and glass side by side. More images the same showing other color variations, showing the contrast between salt and glass. As the images are, it is impossible to fully see the effect.

I think it is a useful subject, and suggest that the subject be re-posted WITH close-up, side-by-side images of partial lures. This I am sure would be acceptable.

Dave

• Like 1

I have an idea why not communicate to the poster/complainant the reason for removal/retention and allow some dialog as it seems no one gets notified just taken down and left to wonder what happened, if folks are being notified and explained the situation and its resolution then my bad. I'm quite sure either Monte or the complainant would understand the definition of the violation or lack of and it would go along way than just locking a thread.

I would agree that the last pic posted seems to have morphed into a showcase more than a see how but that is where a simple PM and possibly a removal of that post and most likely without much pushback by the poster if explained but as it stands the whole informative part of the thread is locked preventing continuation of that thread and no it is not practical to create new threads just to go around picture violations and locked threads.

As for lynching the complainant well thats not very productive although most of us would agree that its lame under this circumstance as it was clear that instructional information was being provided. Just seems to be a disconnect between moderation and members as to violations and there resolutions. I have to imagine that there has to be new and or options in software control say to only allow 1-2 pics from any 1 poster in any 1 given thread and still maintain the current rules of being part of a instructional thread and not just a see what I did thing and considering this site is now owned by a company rather than an individual with access to current forum technology and controls that at least could be looked into and post on the outcome of that option.

Rant over!

• Like 1