MonteSS

My Post Closed

What are y'all on dial up? A pic wont kill you.

Why not delete post of the same question asked by noobs over and over again.

I personally am here for entertainment and to assist others. 

Like I said, you loss...i'm outta here

Surely you guys are members of other forums...like I said member of way to many that have pictures (no matter what it is) and in no way has it hurt those sites unless you find participation, increased membership to be negatives.  

I agree Monte concerning the argument of it cluttering up things as I don't see it being an issue based on other experience on much more active forums than the current use here.  This is overall a slow site (nothing wrong with that) and it consists of a lot of regurgitation but even with that take a look at the dates of posts when you open a sub group.  In both the Hard baits and soft baits there are essentially 2 weeks of threads on a "single" page.   Hybrid tackle....2013 thread/posts show on first page.   I guess I don't see their being in big concern with too much stuff on the site based on how it is used now.

I don't see either pics, specific discussion aid pics, or no pics ever as making it a bit of difference to me.  Just think if those that operate the site are truly concerned with attraction of members they may want to step and make sure all the bells and whistles of 5 years ago or more are available today (viewpoint from a guy that doesn't use Facebook, doesn't have a smart phone, etc...)

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1

The forum does not make itself, It is the members that make the forum. Id much rather look at pictures than read some Bs about who has the better plastic etc, Drive away the members this forum will be nothing but a select few that do not wanna weed thru. Just IMO... 

• Like 1

The forum does not make itself, It is the members that make the forum. Id much rather look at pictures than read some Bs about who has the better plastic etc, Drive away the members this forum will be nothing but a select few that do not wanna weed thru. Just IMO... 

Your point is right on with the exception that I believe we are already there. That membership number below is so inaccurate it's a falsehood if the list was weeded out for members who have not posted or signed on in reasonable period say a couple years that number would be in the low 1000's

Someone explain to me how this helps anyone with a decision on weather to use glass beads or salt if there baits when is no comparison photo(like Dave says). Or for that matter a recipe on how to achieve that look. And why would you not want to post it in an area that is designed for that type of post. You say no one ever goes there and looks at anything so you force me to look at if. If I wanted to see it I would go there. There is ways of monitoring a forum but we don't have one that stops someone to post a comment on a thread that is old. We have all seen that over and over again. As for asking the same question again and again post away, the only stupid question is the one you never ask. If you think it is to repetitive then don't answer. If you think you have to answer every question then don't complain about it being the same one.

• Like 1

With fast Internet speeds, and significantly lower costs of file storage the "web" is now a graphics intensive media.

Especially if file sizes are managed, there is no technical reason not to allow pictures in posts.

Many people are visual learners.

With fast Internet speeds, and significantly lower costs of file storage the "web" is now a graphics intensive media.

Especially if file sizes are managed, there is no technical reason not to allow pictures in posts.

Many people are visual learners.

How would you learn from a post like that? It has no info on how to do it but does have the color names. Someone please tell me!

The forums are for learning and instructional posts. You can post as many images as necessary to get the information across. But, if those images are used to gain admiration on the bait or advertising under the guise of discussing a process, then the thread rightly gets closed.

There is no limit to instructional images.

If you want to show your lures then post in the gallery, that is what it is there for.

TU has a reputation as being one of the most informative lure building sites on the internet. This is largely because you don't have to wade through the plethora of 'look at me' threads to get to the information.

Membership numbers are irrelevant. The people wanting to build lures can access all the information without having to join. Once they have built a few and feel that they have something to say, then they join. Many never join and that is OK too. Some join from the outset and will probably ask the most basic of questions and that too is most definitely allowed and should be encouraged.

Bring on the repeat questions, dig up the old threads, go ahead and ask which is the best top coat. Each time these golden oldies is addressed there is a chance of new information, new ideas, new perspectives discussed and our collective knowledge advances a step.

I have joined and participated on a dozen or more lure sites, but I have removed them all from my tab folders and now only use TU because in my opinion it is the best.

A few years back, the moderators relaxed on the image rules and very soon the forums were plagued by 'look at me' threads. The moderators do a great job of keeping the forums clear of non-learning threads, advertising and spam. Long may it continue.

Dave

• Like 4

Yeah and the same can be said with not viewing the post if you don't want to see pictures if you open a post with a pic move on then. How about a sub category say titled "instructional with photo's" under each, hard baits, soft baits and wire baits then the nay sayers on photo's are forewarned.

Guys and gals, I think we need to move past the form, and focus on the substance.

Look, as Yogi Berra would have said, rules is rules.

They aren't here to suppress anyone, they're here because that's how this particular site is set up and run.

If an older person like me, who struggles with computers, can figure out how to navigate it, it can't be that hard.

I think of learning how a site works like how to learn to use a new bait casting setup.  There's a period of adjustment, but the bottom line is whether it does what I want it to do.  

For bait casters, it's all about fishing.

For this site, it's all about learning, and sharing, and it works for me the way it is set up now.  I'm grateful it's here.

• Like 3

Monte, Please don't leave.  You have something to contribute.  I can't speak for everybody else, but I appreciate it. 

Frank, just showing the glass beads produce a clearer bait than equal weight of salt is useful and informative bait making information.  It's what he chose to share even if its not as much as you would have liked him to share, and it is useful to know. 

ADMIN,  I thought that only "look at my stuff" pictures were discouraged in the forums.  Not supplemental pictures to support actual bait making knowledge.  Seems like there is some confusion about what the rule is among members. 

Everybody, "Look at my stuff pictures," definitely belong in the gallery. 

~~ Time Lapsed ~~

Here Directly From The Site Rules Post by redg8r:

• Each registered member is permitted a defined amount of upload space in the forums to display images or other attachments. This free offering is for technical use & NOT for exhibiting your work or for gaining feedback on your work. We require you to use the photo gallery instead to exhibit your work.
    Our gallery has no current storage restrictions (try to get that from any other photo host) Also, members can comment, critique & even rate your work there, just as they would in the forums. The Forums are intended for technical Q&A discussions, please use the gallery for Showcasing your work.
    Any & all posts made simply to display photos/images is prohibited in the forums unless your photo lends some insight to an existing question or discussion, otherwise will be removed without notice.
Edited by Bob La Londe
  • Like 1

Any website needs to make money to stay in business.

This one does it in a way that doesn't interfere with any of our conversations, and I appreciate that.

That is not accurate the fishing forum I'm on is open to anyone and is owed by a guy who lived in my state and moved to the west coast and still has kept the site up he has no advertisements and maybe 2 paid vendors on the site, its not always money and surely opening up the site to photo's will not hurt anyone's bottom line.

I have been an active supporting TU member since the very first week that they came on the net back in the very early 90’s.  TU rules….I know them and know them well, not to mention I have always followed them to a T.  A few months ago I put a couple of photo’s showing the lost art of old school hand pouring and the 3D effects that you can create with this method compared to the 21st century lams everybody is doing with their injection set ups. I got pounced on like a spider in the girls high school locker room! Not sure what rule I broke??? Looked over TU rules several times to make sure some rule hasn’t changed in the past 20+ years that I have been an ACTIVE member….to no avail was I able to find where I broke any TU rule/rules. Most who know me, know that this guy doesn’t need to show boat about a thing…..so to blast up some photos of look at me and what I can do….don’t think so moderators.

I look at it this way….for over 20+ years I have donated countless hours here on TU helping people learn and enjoy their very expensive and DANGEROUS hobby. The info I have donated here over sooooo many years, is from countless hours of my personal time as well as countless $$$ out of my pocket spent on consumable products, molds, pots, injection machines, safety services, legal services and so on. So when I got publicly blasted for NOT breaking any rule…..well like they say “Don’t bite the hand that feeds you”

• Like 2

I have been an active supporting TU member since the very first week that they came on the net back in the very early 90’s.  TU rules….I know them and know them well, not to mention I have always followed them to a T.  A few months ago I put a couple of photo’s showing the lost art of old school hand pouring and the 3D effects that you can create with this method compared to the 21st century lams everybody is doing with their injection set ups. I got pounced on like a spider in the girls high school locker room! Not sure what rule I broke??? Looked over TU rules several times to make sure some rule hasn’t changed in the past 20+ years that I have been an ACTIVE member….to no avail was I able to find where I broke any TU rule/rules. Most who know me, know that this guy doesn’t need to show boat about a thing…..so to blast up some photos of look at me and what I can do….don’t think so moderators.

I look at it this way….for over 20+ years I have donated countless hours here on TU helping people learn and enjoy their very expensive and DANGEROUS hobby. The info I have donated here over sooooo many years, is from countless hours of my personal time as well as countless $$$ out of my pocket spent on consumable products, molds, pots, injection machines, safety services, legal services and so on. So when I got publicly blasted for NOT breaking any rule…..well like they say “Don’t bite the hand that feeds you”

I feel the same! :drool: There are too many on TU that can't say a simple  thank you when an informative post or supplier link is made as a result of the poster spending $1000's and countless hours to learn. Show a little appreciation when the  info saves you time and $. :halo:  There's more then a few"under the table'' folks on here that want free info to make money w/ out paying taxes and spending the $ to operate a legitimate business. They are quite easy to spot if you follow their post for a year.

• Like 2

That is not accurate the fishing forum I'm on is open to anyone and is owed by a guy who lived in my state and moved to the west coast and still has kept the site up he has no advertisements and maybe 2 paid vendors on the site, its not always money and surely opening up the site to photo's will not hurt anyone's bottom line.

I don't know anything about other sites.  This one needs money to stay open, and that's why they have it set up the way they do.

Glitter - Need Advice

Just an observation of pics allowed and picks not. There are pics of baits there and I personally like to see the actual baits and makers you are making in the same spot. I have never gone to the picture gallery. Most are to match colors, maybe location of hook, beads, glitter colors and any other components. .

Only my thoughts reading a bit back from vacation. :rolleyes:

Edited by jeff@mf

I personally was not bothered by the post or pictures in the post. I found both educational. I'm sure this was a tough call for the moderators. The only suggestions I would give to improve would be more instruction and reasons for using glass beads. How you came up with the idea and fewer pictures with more comments on the pictures you show. Try not to be offended. There are so many opinions on this site. We are bound to rub each other the wrong way once in a while. I'm sure you will agree that we all benefit from different points of view more often than not. Please do not take this the wrong way. I hope you will post this glass beads info again, but with a link to the pictures in the gallery. It was a great post and I was glad to see it. Many others will benefit from your insight if you just do it a little differently.

Edited by Chuck Young
  • Like 3

am I wrong here....has an admit from this site chimed in al all on this issue or thread, if not

And like I said I could be wrong, I'll go over it again after I post but the fact that I have not seen one chime in is a tad disturbing. Gives credit yo those complaint that the people here are not in touch with its members

I apologize if I'm wrong but I just have not seen an administrator post on this subject