MonteSS

My Post Closed

Saw one on the first page, and after that nothing, al mentioned it was reported and why but since then nothing and more has been asked, this subject is on its 3rd page going on 4.

Al is a moderator, it would be good to hear from some one that makes policy

I think done of the rules are very much out dated. This site is unique and should strive to be up to date

I don't think moderators make policy's they are using the ones that have been in place for as long as I have been here. The policy posted earlier was pretty easy to understand don't you think? Presented in a different manner to me would look much more like a tutorial but we have a place for those too and if you don't think the gallery is used much go to the tutorials section and see. As for the rules it says it will be removed without notice but it was not and all here can read and make there own judgment. This soft baits forum gets a lot of traffic and has for a long time. Some have helped out a little and some have helped out a lot but most just move on. Pictures go in the gallery tutorials go the the tutorial section is that not easy?

Edited by Frank
  • Like 1

Guys........

First off, I must apologize.  Earlier, I said the post was reported.  It was NOT reported.  I had that confused with another similar post.  Believe it or not......we get reports......quite often!   It was simply locked by another moderator due to our picture policy here on TU.

Please understand this one REALLY bugged me.  Personally, I've never been a fan of keeping members from posting pictures......especially when said pics are meant to help tutor other members.  Monte is a very well respected member on TU, and by no means did I see this as a "Look what I've done and here's what I'm selling them for!!" kinda post.  It was meant to show how something can be done.  I believe it was informative and should have not been locked.  That's just me. 

That said.......I am not the owner of the site.  I'm just one of the moderators.  I have spoken to Curt about ways that we can possibly improve this picture problem because quite frankly.........it's driving me nuts.  Trust me.......I've read EVERY ONE of your posts and I take them all very seriously.  I really like some of the ideas.  Someone mentioned each member being allowed a certain amount of space.  Very cool idea, but as said........there are questions that need to be answered before we can take those kinds of steps. 

Bottom line:  we are working on it.  TU has become one of the top tackle making sites in the country.  I take pride in being one of the first members, and seeing how this thing has grown is unbelievable.  I'd love to see it continue to grow.  Hang tight, fellas, while we work through a few kinks. 

• Like 1

I apologize for not stepping up sooner and addressing the concerns here. The last few days have been extremely busy for me, with almost no time at all spent on forums, etc.

TU was created to share information that helps people learn about various lure making techniques. That is the primary goal of the site. As an aside, it can also be a place to show off your work and get feedback from like-minded people. And, yes, it can also be used to drum up a little business on the back end. It is not intended to be a place for people to drum up business unless they are a paid advertiser, but there's no doubt that it does happen.

Now, let's address the picture thing, since that seems to be the biggest point of debate and contention in most of the heated discussions here on this site.

The rules of the site clearly state that pictures should not be included in a post simply for the sake of showing the latest bait that you've designed. That's not what TU is about.

If, however, a picture or two will help illustrate a technique or show the difference between method 1 and method 2, then pictures should definitely be used.

In the case of MonteSS, instead of simply showing several pics of soft plastic baits, he could have posted two simple photos. 1 with glass beads and one without. And his post could have made mention that he has found a huge difference between salt and glass beads, and here's why.

Without showing pics to use as comparisons, the photos come across simply as a way to say "look what I did!".

That may or may not have been the case with the post in question. Yes, he did share his recipe. But if the whole purpose of showing pics was to illustrate the usefulness of glass beads, then a pic without glass beads definitely should have also been posted.

The rules are what they are because the original site owner set them up that way. He had his reasons for doing so. It had nothing to do with money being made on the side by lure makers, but more to do with keeping the forums on point and making sure they stayed informative and educational.

The gallery is where photos need to be posted. That's what the gallery is for. If people choose not to visit the gallery, then they are missing out on some great work by other TU members. Several people have said that the no picture rule is antiquated. But it is also antiquated for members to refuse to visit the gallery and use only the forums. So it goes both ways.

None of this is being said to throw stones at anyone. I'm simply trying to clear up the confusion and try to shed some light on this in a way that will help people understand why things are done they way they are done.

Remember... pics need to demonstrate a technique or show a result or comparison. They should not simply show a lure you made.

With all of that being said, the post that MonteSS made will be unlocked. That post is still a borderline post when it comes to the no pic rule. But because ti was taking on an education direction, I will unlock it and let it continue on.

But please understand that future posts or threads with unnecessary photos will be locked or deleted, as per the site rules.

I hope this helps to clear things up a little.

• Like 3

Well since 95% of the people here that make sticks use salt, they surely know what the resulting baits look like and the disadvantage of using it. Cloudy baits and weak baits. Does not show color or flake well

I dont use salt and was not going to go out and buy it to show as an example.

I explained the beads and showed three examples. I put the exact recipe there. I showed where to get the beads.

I also use an outside site for pics and dont use up your space

That is not against TOS and the fact that you still think it is pisses me off

Edited by MonteSS

Well since 95% of the people here that make sticks use salt, they surely know what the resulting baits look like and the disadvantage of using it. Cloudy baits and weak baits. Does not show color or flake well

I dont use salt and was not going to go out and buy it to show as an example.

I explained the beads and showed three examples. I put the exact recipe there. I showed where to get the beads.

I also use an outside site for pics and dont use up your space

That is not against TOS and the fact that you still think it is pisses me off

Using the space on the web server isn't the issue. So whether you're ticked off or not is your choice.

I saw that you linked to the pics from your Photobucket account. That's fine too, but you could have also uploaded them to the TU gallery and linked to them from there. Either way, it doesn't matter. The rules are what they are. And until/unless they're changed, there won't be any exceptions to them for you or for anybody else.

Now how about if everyone moves on and lays this to rest.

So you want me to put the pics that illustrate what I am showing in the gallery and link to them? That is ridiculous. The reader would need to click back and forth. 

So here is another instructional post I made. I guess this is against TOS too? I'm confused

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/31750-simple-lam-plate/

Guys........

First off, I must apologize.  Earlier, I said the post was reported.  It was NOT reported.  I had that confused with another similar post.  Believe it or not......we get reports......quite often!   It was simply locked by another moderator due to our picture policy here on TU.

Please understand this one REALLY bugged me.  Personally, I've never been a fan of keeping members from posting pictures......especially when said pics are meant to help tutor other members.  Monte is a very well respected member on TU, and by no means did I see this as a "Look what I've done and here's what I'm selling them for!!" kinda post.  It was meant to show how something can be done.  I believe it was informative and should have not been locked.  That's just me. 

That said.......I am not the owner of the site.  I'm just one of the moderators.  I have spoken to Curt about ways that we can possibly improve this picture problem because quite frankly.........it's driving me nuts.  Trust me.......I've read EVERY ONE of your posts and I take them all very seriously.  I really like some of the ideas.  Someone mentioned each member being allowed a certain amount of space.  Very cool idea, but as said........there are questions that need to be answered before we can take those kinds of steps. 

Bottom line:  we are working on it.  TU has become one of the top tackle making sites in the country.  I take pride in being one of the first members, and seeing how this thing has grown is unbelievable.  I'd love to see it continue to grow.  Hang tight, fellas, while we work through a few kinks. 

Thank you for your explanation the only thing that bothered me was a simple PM or a quick response in the thread to put the post back on track if in fact it went off track would have been enough I don't think the OP was trying to circumvent the rules and bam the thread was locked. All is good happy fishing!

So you want me to put the pics that illustrate what I am showing in the gallery and link to them? That is ridiculous. The reader would need to click back and forth. 

So here is another instructional post I made. I guess this is against TOS too? I'm confused

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/31750-simple-lam-plate/

No, you don't need to put the pics in the TU gallery and link to them. And even if you did, there is no need for the reader to click back and forth if they're posted properly, the same way you posted the pics from your Photobucket gallery.

You're missing my point regarding pictures overall.

Photos should only be included in a post to illustrate a technique or demonstrate a method of doing something.

Your post on Glass Beads wouldn't have even gotten a second glance if it had been structured a bit differently.

For example, the title should have been something more descriptive, such as Why I Use Glass Beads in my Soft Plastics (or something similar), not just "Glass Beads".

Then you could have mentioned in the post that you use glass beads because they don't cloud the plastic and allow you to create baits that have a very transparent look to them. Here are a couple pics to show you what I mean:

DSCN3476_zpszrhpe8at.jpg

DSCN3482_zpslfxcsybh.jpg

But... the way your post was made caused it to come across more like a sales pitch initially.

And I unlocked your post because it does contain educational info, so try not to get hung up on it.

I joined this forum a few months ago under the advise from members of another one. Guess what? I created an account and within a few days I decided that the rule on pics is to confusing and controversial so I rarely log on here anymore. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Porkrind said:

I joined this forum a few months ago under the advise from members of another one. Guess what? I created an account and within a few days I decided that the rule on pics is to confusing and controversial so I rarely log on here anymore. 

I'm 70 years old, and I can understand the rule.  Basically, any picture that is related to how to solve a problem in a thread is allowed.  Otherwise, they should be posted in the appropriate gallery, and a link to them should be posted here.

• Like 1