trav

Spike It Pourasol

Just got a gallon of this pourasol in.  The only instruction on the label was to not eat the stuff.... Im new to pouring baits, so Im asking if I heat this stuff like any other plastisol? Ive been reading a lot of posts and finding that 325 to 335 is the magic temp, would that still apply to this stuff? Anyone have experience with Spike It pourasol? Thanks for looking

I use it a lot, it does not need to get to 350. I get mine to about 335 at the most and have good luck shooting at about 310ish. Try and not stir it to much as if you hit it when it gels you will introduce bubbles. I mainly use quart batches and heat it all at once. I won't give you a time cause all microwaves are different. When I take it out it is about 335. When you first use it make sure and mix all the settlement on the bottom. It may not be much but it all needs to be mixed in. Try and stir it not shake it. Being new you will need to be carefull at first heating and when you get more use to it you will get it. Not many things you get will have instructions and this forum will be priceless when you need to know something.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply. That helps me a lot. As of now, I don't have a microwave but I have a quart size pan and a electric heating element from Walmart. Can I brush on alumidust on it once it's cured and heat it with a propane touch? I haven't found much on it yet

Well why not just put it in the molds and save a step. Flaming after will work but will take off some of the detail as well. Be carefull heating with a pot and hot plate can be tricky as the hot plate spikes heat real bad so when you get close to temp be carefull. What do you have to take the temp of your plastic?

I'm planning on making a 5 inch bluegill and 6 1/2 shad. I only brought up the brushing on part cause I saw it in a YouTube video. I didn't know you can put it on the mold, cause I've never seen how to do it. As far as plastic temp, I have an old thermometer I'll be using.

i use pourasol... i didnt know im not supposed to eat it (ha ha!)

i make all my own molds, and each one prefers its own temp.... for most of my hand pour (1 pc) molds i pour at 300-310 depending on size.. for larger thicker body baits ill go down to 290 to avoid shrinkage.. the pourasol still pours nice for me at low temps, long as its mixed well w no clumps...... injection (2pc) molds usually run a little hotter, 320-330

i only use a microwave, so cant tell u what to expect w the burner pot.... but u should check out Larry Dalburg for the alumidust stuff... makelure . com i think

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the replies. Looks like I have a lot more reading to do. And I guess I need a microwave to keep in the garage now. How long does it take to get plastisol up to temp, on average? I know every microwave is different

Mark and Frank, are you guys just putting it in there hitting 8mins/3mins and letting just cook the whole time or doing it in intervals? I know Frank said he doesn't stir, do you Mark?

i second that question... i cook mine in bursts... 45, 30, 30, 30, 20, 20, 15 (depending on amount) stirring between each burst.... thats about 3 min of cook time, but way more in real time

• Like 1

i second that question... i cook mine in bursts... 45, 30, 30, 30, 20, 20, 15 (depending on amount) stirring between each burst.... thats about 3 min of cook time, but way more in real time

Never even look at it just put it in and start. One of my microwaves must have some type of over heating sensor because after 3 quarts I need to add at least 30 seconds to the total. Or it just gets to the gel state.

Here is my process(I use injectasol which is pourasol that is not vacumned)

Mix 5 gallon bucket with paint mixer on a drill

Transfer it to the vacumn container a quart at a time

Start vacumn with a gallon of raw plastic

When it gets to 29.4hg it will grow and the bubbles will burst

Scoop out a quart into a 4 cup Pyrex

Set it in the microwave and enter my time( in this case I will put it in my faster one and enter 7 min 10 seconds)

Get things ready like molds and injectors

Preheat my griddle

Get my Sprue cups on the griddle

Get the colorant measured in a medecine cup or a syringe

By that time the plastic is done but to hot to inject

Set it on the griddle and mix the colorant and flake

Check the temp if it is 320 ish I will start shooting

If it is to hot I will take it off the griddle and set it on the counter to cool a bit

Check again and shoot if the temp is right

In the summer my griddle is set at 350 and keeps my plastic at about 300 all the time

Winter it is at 400 and it has trouble keeping it at a shootable temp(need to put it back into the microwave for a reheat)

This way I never reheat the big Pyrex (unless it is winter) just reheat the sprues and add them back in.

The plastic does get a skin on the top but I take that off and reheat it with the sprues

Reheating sprues can be tricky as the time will vary because it is already hot. Just heat slow and check often.

• Like 4

Frank, like your process. I didn't use a griddle for a long time...just multiple reheats. Resisted adding one more piece of equipment but it's the cats meow for keeping the plastic useable and not micro reheating. The "sprue cups", is that a small cup you use to top off your molds?

Frank, like your process. I didn't use a griddle for a long time...just multiple reheats. Resisted adding one more piece of equipment but it's the cats meow for keeping the plastic useable and not micro reheating. The "sprue cups", is that a small cup you use to top off your molds?

No never top off molds,if I have to top off molds it's because the plastic temp is to hot so I lower the temp. If that still happens I have a new mold made with a longer Sprue. Sprue cups are for holding the injector plugs. If I am using the Twinjector it holds the blending block stuff too. Sound like a long process but in ten minutes you are shooting and making baits.

No never top off molds,if I have to top off molds it's because the plastic temp is to hot so I lower the temp. If that still happens I have a new mold made with a longer Sprue. Sprue cups are for holding the injector plugs. If I am using the Twinjector it holds the blending block stuff too. Sound like a long process but in ten minutes you are shooting and making baits.

I've watched enough of you videos that I was gonna answer that question for ya but I figured I'd let the master give his own reply! If y'all haven't watched Frank's videos you are missing out, they are great!

• Like 1

P.S.  A long time ago, I bought some Pourasol for doing some open pours, and oddly enough it seems to work better at filling details than other plastics I was trying in a very detailed open pour mold.  I didn't like the way it looked after a while on the shelf, but fresh it was pretty good.  I don't know if the really had their own formula or if they just relabeled something from Calhoun like some others do, but it was pretty good for what it was labeled for.