joelhains

Elaztec, Z Man, Strike King 3X...what Is This Stuff?

On 1/19/2020 at 4:40 PM, BradfieldFord said:

Thank you. Now I need to see if I can find someone here in the US that sells this stuff. I wouldn’t mind buying a gallon and play around with it. Wonder if I can hear it up similar to plastisol in the microwave. 

9 hours ago, Joelh831 said:

Thank you. Now I need to see if I can find someone here in the US that sells this stuff. I wouldn’t mind buying a gallon and play around with it. Wonder if I can hear it up similar to plastisol in the microwave. 

For me heating it up is much easier than plastisol, no problem in yellowing... this is my 5th post going to see how to post a picture of it here...

DESCRIPTION ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REVIEWS (0)
CHARACTERISTICS:

It is a thermoformable flake polymer, which can be transparent or colored. It is composed of copolymers based on styrene, ethylene, butylene and mineral oils.

PROPERTIES:

Single component product, which when heated above 180 ° C melts and becomes a well-fluid liquid, which can be easily poured into silicone molds, metal or surfaces that resist color and are not absorbent. After cooling, the product forms a rubber with high flexibility, elongation and tear resistance.

USE:

Manufacture of artificial baits, gaskets, replicas of human body organs for studies, parts for physiotherapy, gifts and technical parts.

HANDLING:

The product must be heated above 180 ° C so that it changes from solid to liquid, and becomes easy to handle. Drying takes place by cooling.

ATTENTION

We do NOT recommend adding any type of mixture, as it will change the characteristics, thus compromising its quality.

As it is a material that must be heated to a high temperature, special care is necessary, thus avoiding burns and fires.

NOTE: If the product is heated above 200 ° C it may ignite and cause a fire.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

It is recommended to use thermal flameproof gloves, goggles, gas mask and leather apron, always work with the product in ventilated areas and without excessive humidity.

CLEANING

For cleaning utensils it is advisable to use Siq raz.

A copolymer based on styrene, ethylene, butylene and mineral oils seems to be the description of a styrene-ethylene-butylene-styrene polymer called SEBS, characterised by softness till 2 ShA and an incredible elongation. The Italian Chemical Industry produces tons of SEBS, but only for industrial application. I have not been able to find a DIY Seller ... till now.

Bye 

Cami

This stuff looks promising.  Kraton seems to make it here. I can't find a place to buy any to try.  It sounds like a lot of potential.  But, who knows if is possible to buy any.  The best bet might to be buying SEBS clear medical tubing somewhere and then melting it down and trying to make a lure out of it.  

I do not know if the stuff is safe or not.  It sounds safer than plastisol we use.  

• Like 1

Some kinds seem to have a bit of a wider window.  I wish there was a way to get a sample to see how it compares to the consistency of our finished baits.  It sounds like it is all plasticizer and phthalate free, so that should be good.  I would really want to talk to someone in their tech departments to understand risks before using it though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dv616 said:

Very interesting.  I wonder if that is cheaper to ship than a liquid.  

Do we know if this stuff is safer than our typical plastisol?  I would rather not try products with a higher health risk.  It seems to be similar or safer, but not sure.

I think the weight is the main factor and location that it’s being shipped too. I wish theirs a company in the U.S that sells this stuff that would be willing to sell to the small DYI guys. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dv616 said:

Very interesting.  I wonder if that is cheaper to ship than a liquid.  

Do we know if this stuff is safer than our typical plastisol?  I would rather not try products with a higher health risk.  It seems to be similar or safer, but not sure.

You should either work in front of a box fan that blows past the hot plastic to an open door, or wear a respirator that is designed to protect you from solvent fumes.  Once you screw up your sinuses and/or lungs, it's too late.  Been there, done that.

10 hours ago, mark poulson said:

You should either work in front of a box fan that blows past the hot plastic to an open door, or wear a respirator that is designed to protect you from solvent fumes.  Once you screw up your sinuses and/or lungs, it's too late.  Been there, done that.

Thankfully, I am am a painter by trade so I wear a respirator and run a spray booth fan when pouring plastics.  I just need to be dutiful and not forget about it when I am just running one few baits.   The plastic I use is phthalate free, so that should make a difference too for the better.

• Like 1