Mr Ben

A New Challenge

I'll be upfront here. I'm new to the forums. Being a lurker, I am getting some great ideas from you guys prior to starting up in making some lures.

I've already done modifications to many hard baits in my table. In fact when I buy a new lure I always do these minor modifications because as my friends say "they just work a lot better.

But there is one that needs no modifications other than the fun it represents when you grab a few permanent markers in various colors and accent an already terrific lure. Because it's a top water lure it doesn't really require it very much because fish basically see a silhouette and some of the more bold markings as the get close.

But perfection is always preferred to guaranteeing more sure strike by larger, more warry game.

Now with this particular frog lure that I'm introducing for your consideration it must be understood that the body is made from a material I cannot identify because I've never heard of it. Of course I've seen it before in various products in which it used. But never in a fishing lure.

It's not soft like a plastic worm and it's not hard like a crank bait. It's soft enough that it fools fish when struck. I've even removed the hook and used it a time or two just to see how long a fish will hold it before spitting it out. Most won't let go no matter what level of resistance you put too it. Of course yer gonna pull it out with Stern resistance.

I'm curious as to what kind of base material they use in the body.

I'm quite certain that based from my observations with the "CLONE SERIES" that the base coat of paint is of latex. I am willing to be wrong.

As you'll see from a bit of browsing, the Clone models come in several base colors of which you can accent further with your own unique ideas based on what species you see everyday in your location. You'll also see that they seller also offers finished models that are hand painted to perfection for the justified fee of $35 for those with the money to burn or don't have the tools or skill. Personally no lure is worth $35 especially in this case because the clones work just fine without the striking details.

You (we) can actually put the slick details to the clones too when you buy from the clone series. They're only $10 bucks.

But I'm curious to learn from you more experienced guys just what it takes.

1. Is it possible to find out what the bodies are made from?

2. Is it financially justifiable to reproduce these instead of buying the clones just for personal use and friends or are you better off just buying several clones and taking the extra time to go fishing :-)

3. If you wanted to go to the extreme and airbrush these to perfection, what kind of paint would you use? It's obvious that you wouldn't even think of putting epoxy gel coat to work as it would make the lure surface brittle. Think snap, crackle and pop ;-) Again keep in mind that the clones can simply be modified using permanent markers. I've done this year's ago when I first bought em. They haven't even begun to fade.

Lots of questions huh? Mostly because I'm just curious but I'd sure like to try my hand at detailing one to perfection to show off.

Give the site a good going over and investigation for clues if you like.

I therefore submit for your critique.....

http://www.bass-frog.com/

• Like 1

Beautiful work but $60 is a bit steep for me. And it's not like the fish care.

Strike king made a frog years back that was from a unique material that floated. Very togh stuff. 

yup_zpsblvotdvg.jpg

I didn't know strike king did that. Most of my go-to lures are strike king (they just work well here). The rest are Rapala J8 Suspended.

The bass frog lures are super tough as well. I've been catching fish with mine for 9 years now and look like they came out of the package; and $10 isn't much at all for the do it yerself clones available at the site. As I stated, fish don't see much when a lure is on the surface, all that hand painted detail for a monumental fee though absolutely breath taking, really isn't worth the cash when it's not necessary. Below the surface is a different matter. But even there, not much of the "fine details" are required. It's mostly for us. I actually like it though (who wouldn't?)

I tend to think that much of the details in the lures that folks make are more for people than the fish anyway.

After all much of the pocket knife carved homemade lures from looooong ago, basically offered silhouettes and dark, mono-colored schemes. But even there, not much of the "fine details" are required. It's mostly for us. I actually like the fine details though (who wouldn't?) It gives the fisherman a much needed positive attitude and that alone can catch more fish I think. Also this attitude is what makes fishing so addictive not to mention relaxing because our minds are more focused on fishing than all that crap we left behind to go fishing. It seems fishing is all very psychological and good therapy. Sheesh I should write a book "The Psychology of fishing" . How you can beat depression, PTSD and other bat shit crazy issues" by Dr Ben ;-)

It should be noted however that I have been diagnosed with PTSD. Yes I'm a vet)

Still would like to to know what these frogs are made of and if they can be airbrushed with a specific material.

It's likely a thinned out latex type paint. Probably not worth the cost and hassle of the materials.

• Like 1

Yup I just found a couple I had from years back. IIRC they didnt cast well and hook up ratio was poor. Braid might help drive that big hook home now.

Seems like you could use a big circle hook, with a weed guard.  Those things really stick fish well.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/searchresults.html#search=products&searchtext=circle%20hooks&opt_page=1&opt_sort=alphaAtoZ&opt_perpage=20

Oh.. .. I don't think $10 is asking too much for the "clone series" They come with a few accessories and there are a few others available such as different legs with special hooks etc. The lure body's are tough and have lasted me for 9 years and countless fish. I've managed to elude those dern pesky Gators and gar so far. Ok wait.. .. I did have a young gar get it once but I didn't try to wrestle it from him. He let go eventually and I continued my retrieve hoping the commotion would have brought attention of something more desirable. Not a mar or scratch from the encounters!

A $10 lure however, is at the max envelope of what I'm willing to pay for a lure. In my book for that money it had better catch fish (and it definitely does) and it had better last a very long time (baring acceptable risk loss of the natural causes). In this case I've had mine 9+ years. Roughly that's about a buck a year.

Edited by Mr Ben

That it is Mr Monte. As I noted especially if they catch fish and can handle the tough hits for what seems like forever it's worth the $10.

Yeah it's cool to be able to take a few colored Sharpies and give em accents. But it's not necessary.

The optional frog legs you can buy separately are new. I was just reading about them and I'm definitely going to purchase a kit. You can do alot with them besides add color accents.

Edited by Mr Ben

OK, I broke down and ripped one open. These things don't cut well. It hates my sharp knife. But I managed to make a cut then just rip it open. (I have 4 of em and this color never did produce. No loss

As you can see the material is yellow, seemingly with barely visible, micro bubbles or balloons. You can also see the placement of a flat bit of lead on the belly. Most of the time this flips the lure upright on the cast and when going through weeds and lillys.

It's quite spongy once It's ripped open. More firm prior. I think the rubber latex paint coating is what firms things up a bit more. But the inside material feels rather rubbery and tears rather than flakes off as if it was brittle.

Any ideas what this material could be?

NCM_0071.JPG

NCM_0071.JPG

NCM_0071.JPG

NCM_0071.JPG

NCM_0071.JPG

NCM_0071.JPG

NCM_0071.JPG

NCM_0071.JPG

post-49744-0-68015800-1470868720_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr Ben

Yeah it's definitely some type of soft foam for sure. It's all foam. No separate head. The only thing added is the lead weight in the underside of the belly & the eyes.

I'm not not knowledgeable in these types of materials at all. I'm humble enough to ask out of plain curiosity. The colored covering on both top and bottom is very strong and rubbery. Probably latex covering.

Edited by Mr Ben

Sorry to drag up this old topic but i'm creating a pretty cool design for a large weedless rat swimbait using soft silicone foam. That foam in the frog  appears to be something similar to this: https://www.smooth-on.com/products/flexfoam-it-17/

It amazes me that people will not pay $10 for one lure but waaay more to make it. The supplies alone for my build are currently at 300 but this lure doesnt exist yet. If Rago, or 3:16 lures made it i would probably just buy it.

I just lost a $160 lure a few days ago.  and  I buy 2 10/0 beast hooks for $10. Swimbait game is no joke but worth almost every penny.

I agree it is a foam.  Second time today I am posting an Alumilite link to a foam I am playing with.  But, I do know others make similar foams that should work.

http://www.makelure.com/store/p/974-Flexible-Foam-3lb-Density.aspx

Foams like this float very well, create a great skin in the mold, and they will take paint, airbrush, markers, etc.  I also plan on trying to coat them with silicone.  There is a cottage industry that uses silicone, thinned with solvents, mixed with dies, to paint silicone dolls.  I think that if we dipped the foam in silicone and then used the "silicone paint" which will work in an airbrush, that you would have a killer bait.

But, price to sell?  The original painted version is $60, and I know they can be made for far less then that.  But, sounds like a fun project.

• Like 1

DSCN2122.thumb.JPG.b54b6a8b2943aa01ec6febe36cee2e7e.JPG

I love the Capt. Ken's Frog Lures, too. I created this one several years ago. I glued some pieces of polyurethane closed cell foam around a weighted hook to make the body. Shaped it with sand paper and an hot iron rod. Legs are made of a strip of same kind of foam. Fins are cutted from a thick plastic sheet. Airbrushed with acrilyc water paints. A quick dipping in clear plastivel (plastidip if you prefer). Just all. It floats and swims like a real frog to catch Bass.

Bye

Cami

Edited by Cami
  • Like 1