Mr Ben

A Whole New Frog (Well Not That New)

I'll be upfront here. I'm new to the forums. Being a lurker, I am getting some great ideas from you guys prior to starting up in making some lures.

I've already done modifications to many hard baits in my table. In fact when I buy a new lure I always do these minor modifications because as my friends say "they just work a lot better.

But there is one that needs no modifications other than the fun it represents when you grab a few permanent markers in various colors and accent an already terrific lure. Because it's a top water lure it doesn't really require it very much because fish basically see a silhouette and some of the more bold markings as the get close.

But perfection is always preferred to guaranteeing more sure strike by larger, more warry game.

Now with this particular frog lure that I'm introducing for your consideration it must be understood that the body is made from a material I cannot identify because I've never heard of it. Of course I've seen it before in various products in which it used. But never in a fishing lure.

It's not soft like a plastic worm and it's not hard like a crank bait. It's soft enough that it fools fish when struck. I've even removed the hook and used it a time or two just to see how long a fish will hold it before spitting it out. Most won't let go no matter what level of resistance you put too it. Of course yer gonna pull it out with Stern resistance.

I'm curious as to what kind of base material they use in the body.

I'm quite certain that based from my observations with the "CLONE SERIES" that the base coat of paint is of latex. I am willing to be wrong.

As you'll see from a bit of browsing, the Clone models come in several base colors of which you can accent further with your own unique ideas based on what species you see everyday in your location. You'll also see that they seller also offers finished models that are hand painted to perfection for the justified fee of $35 for those with the money to burn or don't have the tools or skill. Personally no lure is worth $35 especially in this case because the clones work just fine without the striking details.

You (we) can actually put the slick details to the clones too when you buy from the clone series. They're only $10 bucks.

But I'm curious to learn from you more experienced guys just what it takes.

1. Is it possible to find out what the bodies are made from?

2. Is it financially justifiable to reproduce these instead of buying the clones just for personal use and friends or are you better off just buying several clones and taking the extra time to go fishing :-)

3. If you wanted to go to the extreme and airbrush these to perfection, what kind of paint would you use? It's obvious that you wouldn't even think of putting epoxy gel coat to work as it would make the lure surface brittle. Think snap, crackle and Plaster of Paris ;-) Again keep in mind that the clones can simply be modified using permanent markers. I've done this year's ago when I first bought em. They haven't even begun to fade.

Lots of questions huh? Mostly because I'm just curious but I'd sure like to try my hand at detailing one to perfection to show off.

Give the site a good going over and investigation for clues if you like.

I therefore submit for your critique.....

http://www.bass-frog.com/

Sorry about all the typo's (Bad autocorrect, BAD!) Especially the "snap crackle and plaster of Paris (P-o-p dern it, P-o-p!)

I'm sure you can figure out what I meant in most instances of bad autocorrect.

Who's autocorrect is doing this (It ain't mine)? Why won't it recognize the word p-o-p anyway? ;-) sigh.. ..

Edited by Itsybitsyminnow

without actually handling one....the customs look like you could possibly make one with a thru-wire design with ballast on the wire, a bit of poly foam for a core and saltwater worm plastic molded around it. painted and dipped in clear. the tails are separate pours in similar worm plastic.

truthfully i bet you could make the head out of balsa/bass wood and pour the tails in plastic to the same effect. which would seem easier to me.

after looking at the clone series they look like foam to me.

$50 frogs seems ridiculously priced to me..

Edited by robn510

The Clone frog is made w resin plastic.  I made a simple silicone mold of one using Alumilite products or see Larry Dahlberg videos. I molded a few but switched gears ( it didnt seem realistic enough and the legs were too short and unrealistic also)  and use hollow body and soft plastic Horny Toads now .  Anyone can make a frog seem great in a video in the right pond in Florida.  This lure caught me , the fisherman, well before any fish