BQ22

Iridescent Top Layer

I use Wildlife Pearl Chrome. Sprayed lightly it gives a good baitfish Iridescent effect. But a heavy coating will tend to darken the underlying colors. The iridescence tends to meld the underlying colors into a more natural looking whole, which seems "bait fishy" to me. The iridescent violet probably does the same.

If I were doing it, I'd play around with adding some hilite powder that I use for soft plastics to my top coat.

If i remember correctly, which might be questionable...when I was pouring plastics, I took a spray bottle and mixed the HL powder with some DA and sprayed it right on the plastic. The DA evaporated and left the HL powder on the plastic.....might work pretty good on a hard bait. If it's a bit thick you might be able to just pull the needle back a hair......pulling the needle back might work for spraying clears as well. 

• Like 2

I use the light layers as describe above. Then as I spray clear coat I use a soft opal fire flake/clitter. It pops! I took a dusting of black sealer over a solid white sealer base coat. Then I put on light layers of wicked pearl red. After that I took createx sunburst and laid misting coats until I got the color and look that I was after. This was for one part of a 8.5" bait. I sprayed clear coat with a .66 needle and with an small amount of flakes/glitter. I really like the look. Worried that it may clog tho at a bad time.

What about candy colors over some pearls or foils. Anyone ever tried it? Never used candy's yet but this would give a reason. Haha

Take Care,

Dale

Edited by DaleSW
  • Like 2

I use the light layers as describe above. Then as I spray clear coat I use a soft opal fire flake/clitter. It pops! I took a dusting of black sealer over a solid white sealer base coat. Then I put on light layers of wicked pearl red. After that I took createx sunburst and laid misting coats until I got the color and look that I was after. This was for one part of a 8.5" bait. I sprayed clear coat with a .66 needle and with an small amount of flakes/glitter. I really like the look. Worried that it may clog tho at a bad time.

What about candy colors over some pearls or foils. Anyone ever tried it? Never used candy's yet but this would give a reason. Haha

Take Care,

Dale

Sounds great! How about a link to a picture?

Got some pics, got things to do but one evening I'll get them posted this weekend. I can't get the light right to show the work. Either way I'm going to post a few. I'm going to get some more pic's mid day tomorrow outside if possible. I got some leaf today and I want to pick up some candy paints or thin some down on a few bait tomorrow to. Can't go fishing so....

Dale

Take Care,

Dale

Generally speaking, candies and pearls do not play well together. One tends to cancel the effects of the other regardless of the order in which they are applied.
  • Like 1

BQ22

I just picked up some Golden Interference green the other day ...really wonderful paint

The golden interference is good stuff. I would imagine that most art supply stores would carry it. I got mine at Jerry's Art Arama. I have also found it at Micheals. When I bought it, there were 6 colors. It is very transparent until you turn it at different angles then it really comes to life. Vic, of Little River Baits introduced me to it. I think you will like its effects especially over dark colors.   John

Edited by JBlaze