MOsmallies

Airbrushing Soft Plastics

Hey Guys,

I'm fairly new here and have some questions about airbrushing soft plastics. I did a little research on the site and came across a recommendation for Spike-It SB Coat Soft Plastic Paint...

https://www.ispikeit.com/store/c-72-sb-coat-solvent-based-soft-plastic-paint.aspx

From what I've read, this paint will stick just fine to soft plastics without needing to dip it in clear plastisol to seal it. Is this true? And would adding scent after the paint has properly cured/dried cause the paint to run?

I also have no background/experience with airbrushing so I was hoping you guys could help list what bare minimum items I'd need to get started. Is it just the airbrush, hose, compressor, paint, and proper mask? I know you get what you pay for, but I'm looking to go cheap to start just to see if it will fit the needs for the soft baits I'm wanting to paint. I'm just looking to do really basic painting. Nothing fancy. Just some narrow lines and maybe some splatter dots on the baits.

One last question, would i need a special airbrush for soft plastic paint vs. paint for hard baits? Or would the same airbrush be able to handle paint for both?

Thank you for any input you are willing to provide!

Paul

MOsmallies

We use the water base paint from spike it everyday on soft plastics and we have to dip each bait after painting. We use a standard air brush, nothing special. We have not used the SB paint but if you call Spike It and talk to Them they will guide you in the right direction! You can check out our painted Swimbaits at www.arizonacustombaits.com Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A good beginner airbrush is the pache, get it from tackle warehouse and get free shipping

Or badger but the kind I forget, I have both and it's jus meat and potatoes of air brush, I'm sorry I just can't remember the model numbers, but both are under $100 come in a set with hose, cups and attachment

To make it a gravity feed, go peek at tackle warehouse , it's the only one they sell and like I said it comes with free shipping

• Like 1