jonister

Obersized Screw Eyes

I recently have been noticing hand made swimbaits with these giant screw eyes for the hinges. I have noticed them on some certain topwater rats and glide baits too. I was just wondering if anyone knows a source for these. It just has me curious, as they look like it would create a more free flowing joint with little resistance, and make applying epoxy around the joint easier. Just tinkering with ideas. Thanks guys!

Mark, I use those on glide baits and such for hook hangers, but they aren't the size I'm thinking of. Lure parts online doesn't seem to sell the size I'm thinking of.

The lure maker Wooden Swimbaits, who makes topwater rats and wake baits uses them. I think they have a facebook page. I wonder if home depot would have them in stainless? I wonder though if homedepots would have long enough screws.

• Like 1

I mean I'm not building a chain link fence. ;D I will have to stop by West Marine or home Depot. I think that those big heavy duty screw eyes at the hardware store have enough length to them. I'll have to go look in person. I just noticed some big bait makers using them and decided to take a look. Unless they are custom, they must just be regular old screw eyes. Anyways, Thanks guys, just tinkering with ideas!

• Like 1

I have been thinking about your question Jonister and I did the same, I went to home depot and found brass and SS ones. I felt that these were to big. My question is if your not making a large bait I would like to see a picture of what your trying to make. I have never came across that type of bait before. Well at less I don't think I have. By now you may have found something.

I don't want to post someone else's lures, but basically they are on some big rat wake baits, counter sunk into the wood at the hinge point. I have been on vacation, so I have not had time to check out the hardware store, but I plan on hitting up ace hardware when I get home. My plan is a large wake, not something huge but probably 6" or so. Pretty big around too. Just a big rat.

Bob, I forgot to mention, the idea of using screw eyes in this situation would be to tune the lure while on the water. With a handmade eye it would be fixed with epoxy or super glue. I do get what you are saying though. When I run out of my screw eyes, or if I just don't want to use them I will twist my own.

I don't want to post someone else's lures, but basically they are on some big rat wake baits, counter sunk into the wood at the hinge point. I have been on vacation, so I have not had time to check out the hardware store, but I plan on hitting up ace hardware when I get home. My plan is a large wake, not something huge but probably 6" or so. Pretty big around too. Just a big rat.

I've made jointed rats that big, and the .092 sst screw eyes are plenty big and strong enough.

You'll never have one fail due to it's thickness.

I used sst bicycle spokes for hinge pins.

• Like 2

I might have to tear up some bicycle tires. I'm starting to think of just going with the .92, or twisting my own, and then using a pin on one side, instead of connecting both screw eyes. I didn't have time to hit the hardware store today. Maybe tomorrow..

• Like 2

with all this discussion of "over sized screw eyes" i was looking at one of my wooden shell crackers ...it has  fairly beefy eyes for for the hinges..is this what were talking about or the diameter/length of the thread/stem  ....myself i would be interested in finding something "beefy" with a 3/16" eye diameter combined with length..iv'e looked at bolt depot... to get length i'm looking for (overall eye & thread) 11/8 -11/4, the wire diameter  is serious beef  .225  ....they have one with .160  diameter but only 5/8"of thread which doesn't seem adequate...the .225 has 1 inch of thread length, overall its 2 3/16 which seems too long...this is confusing :? ...Starting to like BobP's suggestion of twisting my own  :wacko:

Surf, that is what I am talking about. It seems to be that the. Hardware stores only really carry stuff for Sat picture frame hanging and such. Nothing with a good screw to eye ratio. I think I will just use the pin system, like mark talked about. I'll still keep my eyes open for the right thing though.

Jonister thanks for the reply...i thought that was what you were getting at..the eyes on the wooden shell cracker look to be 3/32nd wire diameter maybe a 3/16th

diameter eye...that's what I'm looking for in a total length of 11/2 -13/4 (i think :?  maybe a little more)...at least now i have more of an idea of what your'e looking for...

Surf, if you are looking for smaller eyes, have you checked LPO? As mark said, they have all different sizes. You usually can get like a hundred for a couple bucks. They have some of the best prices I have found on screw eyes. They have the perfect sizes.