SugarHillBaits

Custom Paint Job Orders?

Ok I need help with this one, I have been painting lure blanks and selling some locally and now word has gotten out and people love my work and want me to paint on lures they supply. So here is my question How do you guys typically price a custom bait if the bait is supplied to you? I would love some feedback as I am not trying to rip people off but I do not want to cheat myself, I pride my self on great baits at a price everyone can afford.

thank you in advance

Jason 

If your buying knock offs and painting and selling those take what your actually making off the bait and charge that for just the paint job. If they are providing the bait, some painters charge more if the hooks and split rings aren't removed or if the bait needs extra prep work ,say an old used plug with chips or scratches.there are Alot of variables, some charge more according to the length.some patterns definitely take Alot more time than others, so really it comes down to what you feel comfortable charging people.also you might try to check out other custom painters Websites see if they provide pricing maybe this will give you an idea what thw average painters charges,like you said you don't want to overcharge people but you also want to make it worth your time.

One of the most professional, most reputable painting services is Hughes Custom Baits, which is listed in the site directory and whose owner Tim Hughes is a TU member. His website is www.hughescustombaits.com. They use media blasting to remove old paint and provide a very professional looking product. Check it out.

• Like 3

They get $20 for factory painted, mass produced, 3" long lures. It can't cost them more than a $3 in materials to produce them. You have invested in paint, compressors, practice, etc to develop your own patterns. If your customer wants something different, you have to develop that too. $17 does not seem too much from this perspective. Checking out prices of other custom lures $15 is common. Cost of materials is around $3. What you make is probably much prettier, more origional, and with a more durable finish. 

• Like 1

One of the most professional, most reputable painting services is Hughes Custom Baits, which is listed in the site directory and whose owner Tim Hughes is a TU member. His website is www.hughescustombaits.com. They use media blasting to remove old paint and provide a very professional looking product. Check it out.

Tim Hughes is widely regarded as the king of custom lure painters in the Ozark region. Just saying - If I was starting an airline I would study Southwest.

• Like 1

I don't want to say anything bad about any member, let alone the king of the Ozarks. I think his focus is on easily repeatable designs at a moderate price. I see a lot of stencil work, which is practical for that business model. There are also a lot of those baits out there.

There are a lot of successful business models to imitate. There may not be room for another southwest airlines. Jason may not want to be the guy that partners with retailers and pumps out volume. He may not be equipped for that. He may have to or want to take a different approach. If Jason or anyone else only paints a few, maybe his focus is going to be on quality, origionality, or something else. If you are not interested in painting baits 24-7 or training others to paint for you, you have to take a different approach to pricing as well. My point is simply: If what you paint is better than the factory finish, $20 lure, don't feel bad charging $12 to $17 for a much superior paint job. It is nice to be king, but there can only be one.

No disrespect is intended for Mr. Hughes. I do not have any of his baits. They are probably wonderful. Not everyone can do what he does. And he probably wouldn't want too many to try. 

Edited by Chuck Young
  • Like 3

One way you can go if they want you to repaint their baits.....have them do the prep work...remove hardware and paint or at least rough up the clear coat and/or sand down any nicks...charge them the same price you would normally charge (as mentioned above) less the cost of your blank. Paint a few of your own blanks in that same or similar scheme as well. If you sell your baits for let's say $15...then $10 for their one and you'd make another $45 (for 3 of yours) for basically the same amount of work time. It's about enjoying what you're doing.....Just don't be painting while everyone else is fishing if you already have a main source of income.....just a thought

• Like 4

My specialty is realistic paintjobs to match different bait fish, trout etc. I put a ton of time in some of my baits, especially big swimbaits. Using an airbrush, paintbrush, colored pencils, charcoal etc. I put a lot of time in some of them...I think I should be charging more for some of my stuff but hey....

• Like 1

These guys here have been using baking soda for some time, these people turned me on to it. I went to harbor freight and bought one and was thinking this will allow me to learn about a small blaster, but it properly won't last long. Wrong still going for a nice price. It does fine all things considered. I may look at the Badger's next but if this one keeps this up before it wears out, I'll stay with it.

Dale

Ok I need help with this one, I have been painting lure blanks and selling some locally and now word has gotten out and people love my work and want me to paint on lures they supply. So here is my question How do you guys typically price a custom bait if the bait is supplied to you? I would love some feedback as I am not trying to rip people off but I do not want to cheat myself, I pride my self on great baits at a price everyone can afford.

thank you in advance

Jason 

Your prices on ebay seem fair considering the blanks you're purchase.  If you were using higher quality blanks and materials i could see you getting more for your baits. 

• Like 1