bribass

Drum Mixers / Agitators With Hard Packing

Hey Guys! 

Those of you who use drums of plastic I need some advice please! 

I currently use a company that offers drums but have extremely minimal hard packing. Im considering switching to another company for much better pricing but has been known for hard packing over time. 

My question is, how do you guys that buy drums keep the plastic evenly mixed so you don't get inconsistent baits throughout when hard packing can be an issue through a 2" bung hole. 

Thank you for any help!

• Like 1

bribass,

As many here do, I take the top off the drum and mix it with large mixer and a hand drill. When everything is mixed well I transfer the plastic to 5 gallon buckets. I is easier to handle this way and you only have to remix small the small buckets. I mix those with a small squirrel cage paint mixer and the same hand drill.

Hey Guys! 

Those of you who use drums of plastic I need some advice please! 

I currently use a company that offers drums but have extremely minimal hard packing. Im considering switching to another company for much better pricing but has been known for hard packing over time. 

My question is, how do you guys that buy drums keep the plastic evenly mixed so you don't get inconsistent baits throughout when hard packing can be an issue through a 2" bung hole. 

Thank you for any help!

A drum agitator is exactly how you would mix a drum LOL. I used the mixer and drill for a couple years, then I bit the bullet and had a drum agitator made, SOOOOOOOO much better. 

Stay away from hard packing plastisol- been there ,done that! :eek:  It's not worth the time,frustration and equipment to try and loosen up the concrete on the bottom -no matter how cheap the price. You'll end up getting inconsistent results w/ your desired flexibility in your finished product.

What make some brands pack more than others?  Is it something in their formulation, or does their product just sit so long before sale that it has time to pack?

What make some brands pack more than others?  Is it something in their formulation, or does their product just sit so long before sale that it has time to pack?

Mark- i won't mention brand names  except 1. MF can sit forever and won't hard pack. Some do it over a month or two. One in particular notoriously hard packs in a short time period. Years ago, I ran down an fully charged, 18vlt drill battery trying to mix the concrete and it still had hard plastisol on the bottom. It must be in the formulation of  the plastisol w/ less expensive,raw products.

• Like 1

There is a lot of factors in settlement. A 18 volt drill will never mix a drum thoroughly, not in 15 minutes. This is were most guys have problems, Stabilizers, plasticizes etc all have different weights to them. This is why a unproperly mixed batch will be great in one part and burn like crap in the other, be different shore hardness etc. A proper mixer for a thorough amount of time will resolve any issues.

• Like 2

There is a lot of factors in settlement. A 18 volt drill will never mix a drum thoroughly, not in 15 minutes. This is were most guys have problems, Stabilizers, plasticizes etc all have different weights to them. This is why a unproperly mixed batch will be great in one part and burn like crap in the other, be different shore hardness etc. A proper mixer for a thorough amount of time will resolve any issues.

Exactly!!!

bribass, this is a drum agitator. I like that I can head out an hour before I start a shift and turn it on, when I get out to work it's mixed and ready. 

IMG_0291_zpswbd01i8p.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks DaveMc! I see how that works, so how exactly are you removing the lids to the drums? 

Obviously when they arrive they have the 2" bung hole near the edge and a 1" bung hole for venting but thats it. Id love to know an easy way to remove the sealed lid entirely like it looks like you have 

Edited by bribass

I was speaking about a experience w/ a 5 gallon pail years ago. 55 gallon drum mixers are readily available. Never had a problem mixing MF since there is no hard packing- ever!

https://www.google.com/search?q=55+gallon+drum+mixers&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Thanks DaveMc! I see how that works, so how exactly are you removing the lids to the drums? 

Obviously when they arrive they have the 2" bung hole near the edge and a 1" bung hole for venting but thats it. Id love to know an easy way to remove the sealed lid entirely like it looks like you have 

Real simple, there is a clamp around the lid that tightens with a simple bolt. Take the bolt off, open and remove the clamp and bingo, the lid comes off. 

I seem to recall that one of the big bait companies started out mixing with an electric trolling motor when they were still a small bait company. 

Electric drill motor will burn out fairly quick, ask me how I know.............

My agitator uses a 1hp 1750rpm motor. Mixes a drum without breaking a sweat. 

• Like 1

I read drill motor, not trolling motor LMAO. I've learned the hard way and now look at it like this, I could cheap out and get something that can't quite handle the task at hand, and spend more in the long run, or I can just get the right tool to do the job the first time around. 

I used a 1/2 hp Milwaukee drill motor with a mixing blade to mix drywall mud in 5 gallon buckets for many years.  That drill was lower rpm, and had plenty of torque. 

It was like this, but without the pretty paint:

http://www.all-wall.com/Categories/Mud-Mixing-Tools/BuddyTools-MixIt-Mixing-Paddle.html

• Like 1

I've got one of those big Milwaukee drills.... that I also use for mixing mud among other things.  I think its called a Hole Hawg.  You get mud that's settled for too long and it will spin the bucket.  Its got enough torque that if you don't use two hands and it catches on something it could break your wrist.  Only thing I've used with more torque is my Milwaukee Spline Drive rotary hammer.  You catch a piece of rebar drilling through a concrete wall, and it will throw you off the ladder if you aren't ready. 

Edited by Bob La Londe
  • Like 1