swampman

Problem With Pouring Jigs

Lot of guesses here:

**Mold not hot enough

**Lead not hot enough

**Pre-warm hooks before you put them in the mold

**Air trapped in mold, gap mold halves

For easier pours, get yourself some Drop-Out. It is like cooking eggs in a  Teflon pan. They just slide out.  I'm sure other will chime in with more suggestions.

Welcome to TU

• Like 2

Are you using good, clean soft lead?  Some molds are "picky" and don't play well with wheel weights and that type of lead. I have a couple like that.

I almost always keep my pot above 1/2 full also on those picky molds, the extra weight of a full pot makes it stream out faster.

Edited by BLT
  • Like 3

I agree with the above suggestions and two more. On what has been stated about pre-heating the mold. When doing this run about 8-10 runs of just lead pours to get the mold hot enough to allow the lead to travel to the bottom of the cavity. If it takes more then do it.

The next thing that I can think of is a couple of questions. Are you using oversize hooks? If so did you modify the mold to allow the lead to run by them? I bring this up only because I did this when I first started making jigs. The area between the hook and the mold needs to be enough for the lead to run. If it takes a longer time the lead gets dam up.

Dale

• Like 1

You got some great suggestions here.  A couple of other tricks are to use a candle and "soot" the inside of the cavity and sprue hole and play with the angle you hold the mold at when pouring the lead.  Those two tricks help when using larger hooks than the mold wants.

-D

• Like 2

We had the same issues, called do it and got the opposite advice from what has been said. Pre heating hooks is crazy and tedious. They said that most of the molds with trailer barbs first need soft lead, next set pot to low enough to keep spigot free and open. Red hot lead helps trap air. Just call do it if they made the mold and talk to tech. We have zero issues now.

• Like 1

We had the same issues, called do it and got the opposite advice from what has been said. Pre heating hooks is crazy and tedious. They said that most of the molds with trailer barbs first need soft lead, next set pot to low enough to keep spigot free and open. Red hot lead helps trap air. Just call do it if they made the mold and talk to tech. We have zero issues now.

The way I heat the hooks......let them sit in the hot mold for about 10 seconds, then pour. I can respect do-its opinion like any others here, but hotter pot temps have helped many people on here pour better. I know when pouring 2-8oz jigs, I can not get smooth pours with really low temps, and the same for my barbed/ringed shad head mold in the 1/4-1 0z sizes. Use good lead for these also.

• Like 1

Red hot lead, nope. I put the setting on about 6-7 with a Lee Pot. Of course using quality lead is a must. I can understand the low temp. but 6-7 works on mine with barbs. Slag is cleaned out at the beginning and at the top of the pot if it not cleaned out. The oversize hook and modifying the mold was per Do-It. I have quite a few molds like this.

Big D your dead on to with the soot it does help with the release of the lead.

Try what's has been stated and if doesn't help then don't use it again. I always respect the people's opinion here, even if I know that I can do something or it works for me. With this information Swampman you can find your way and correct your issue.

Good luck on the pours!

Dale

• Like 1