ACarrell

Thank You, Mark Poulson ! (Pvc Content)

So you finally convinced me ( without even knowing it !) to try using PVC for carving baits. I just started my first one today, and so far I'm really liking the properties a lot. It's extremely buoyant, so you can really control the weight on it very easily and effectively. Another thing is that I think it machines much easier than wood, due to being far more consistent of a material. Overall I'm very happy with it so far. Still have a little bit to go on this bait that I'm working on, but I will be sure to post finished pictures ! I can't wait to see what the action on the lure is like.

Thanks, I hope you have a great day!

And for anybody that's reading this, I would suggest giving it a try. It really seems to be a very nice material for making baits.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

post-48215-0-96598100-1471997416_thumb.jpeg

post-48215-0-47535400-1471997432_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ACarrell
  • Like 2

Hi ACarroll do you use machines to carve those or do you carve by hand I'm really Intrested in giveing it a try but I don't really have a lot of wood working tool I have saws and routers but I'm not really good with them thanks AC

Hi ACarroll do you use machines to carve those or do you carve by hand I'm really Intrested in giveing it a try but I don't really have a lot of wood working tool I have saws and routers but I'm not really good with them thanks AC

I'm not ACarroll and I'll let him/her answer his or her side of that question. But you don't need all types of high dollar tools. If you have a good hand saw for small pieces of wood, a good carving knife or files, sand paper, pliers, vise (helpful), paint cans from hardware store and a imagination. You will find that you may need other small tools that I didn't mention.

A lot of us have the power tools that speeds up the process, but to me that doesn't mean nothing. The enjoyment is what matters and getting better each time I try.

So....no you don't need high dollar tools to do this hobby. I just had mine because of what I have done in the past.

Make it fun and take your time :),

Dale

I used a scroll saw to cut out the rough shape of the body and lip, and then files and sandpaper for the rest . No reason you couldn't use plain old hand tools though...that's how they did it for s long time :)

Also ...lure is done ...ill take pics and maybe do a small "test video" for it once I get home from my weekend shows !

PVC board has a hard outer skin ( no more than 1/32") that i trim off using a tablesaw. that exposes the softer inner material that can be carved easily. if you don't have a tablesaw, glue some 60 grit paper onto a flat board and sand it off. then take some 80 or 100 grit to smooth it prior to carving. takes more time but that will work. you will be able to tell when the skin is removed.

Solarfall makes some of the best looking baits I have locked an eyeball on and the only power tool I've ever seen him use in his videos is a jig saw for cutting out the basic profile of the bait. Everything else is done with hand tools.

It's worth the time to take a look at some of his videos.

Ben

Doesn't matter what one you want to use.   I use power tools to break down the pvc or wood to desired size as simply faster and gives great results when teamed up with jigs, fences, etc....  I use a band saw mainly but have used my table saw also.   I use a band saw to cut out blanks then I stick to an assortment of knives and carve and sand PVC or will use some power carving stuff with a box fan/filter set up to help with the mess.

If using hand tools I would really recommend buying good tools that perform well.  You should also know how to sharpen your knives whether using the "scary sharp" sandpaper method, water stones or diamond stones, and strop/paste.

I use a band saw, and then do all but my final hand sanding with this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Oscillating-Edge-Belt-Spindle-Sander-EB4424/100061671

My machine is 20+ years old, uses the same 4X24 belts as my hand held belt sander, and has a dust port in the back for a vacuum attachment.

It removes the melted face from Azek quickly, as I am rough shaping my blanks.

Here is the finished bait from the beginning of the thread. I need to water test it to check the action, but figured I would post some pictures of it. It is 5 1/4 inches long, sits in the water real nice, hopefully swims well and dives around 5 feet or so. I guess it's time to test it !!!

image_18.jpeg

image_19.jpeg

image_20.jpeg

Edited by ACarrell
  • Like 1