spoonpluggergino

Oiless Aircompressor

I am using my Iwata 1/8 hp springjet compressor to spray the Transtar Auto Clear with a .5 nozzle Paache air brush and the Iwata will not keep up with that .5 nozzle and because I am going to do all my baits from now on with auto clear much faster and easier, I do 3 coats and I am done

I am going to buy another air compressor just for this auto clear application and I was looking at Porter Cable oi-less with a tank  .8 HP 120 volts, price reasonable 129.00 dollars, is any one on this site using a similar compressor or have a suggestion before I purchase the Porter Cable compressor

Thank You

Gino

I have been using a standing craftsman for years. So long that I forgot the size. All I suggest is to put moisture traps and even a oil trap. I have a moisture and oil trap near the compressor and two moisture traps at the drop for my paint area. I don't have problems with any thing. However my maintenance may help with this. After each days use I drain the tank. I never hold air on the shop system over night. I also have pipe traps in the system. The tank releases the water. This helps with the life of the tank also.

Hope this helps,

Dale

Edited by DaleSW

I've been using a 135 psi Porter Cable 6 gallon oil-less compressor for several years now and like it very much. In an afternoon of painting, it usually turns on once to re-air. Porter has one of the best reputations among power tool companies.

Thank you fellow basement builders, very good advice, I will purchase the Porter Cable and also purchase two air moisture filters, also like the idea to empty the air tank of air, being a HVAC and refrigeration contractor I am well aware of air loaded with moisture, and being an oil less compressor I do not have to worry about oil contamination

Thanks again

Gino 

When you say the  compressor won't keep up with the air brush, I believe the compressor won't supply enough cubic feet per minute. This is a different problem than how many psi it will furnish. The airbrush should specify how many cubic feet per minute it will require so that you can buy a compressor that will supply enough air. This was a big deal with a textured ceiling spray gun I used. It didn't require much pressure, but a load of volume.

• Like 1

My Porter Cable compressor will be shipped to my local Home Depot on Sept 9th, the day before I leave for LOTW, now I have an excuse to build more baits so I can test my new toy

Here are the stat on my Iawata compressor, by the way it's a great compressor for painting baits, super quite and never any problem, now going on seven years

!/8 HP .64 cfm at 35 psi. the Paache brush .5 cfm to 1 cfm at 20 to 45 psi, any way if I use the .3 nozzle it does a fair job but I do not pick up as much fluid with smaller nozzle and takes a litle longer to clear coat the bait

Again thanks for the advice made it easier to make up my mind on purchasing a compressor with higher cfm volume

Gino 

• Like 1