Eyectcher

Jigs For Pouring Crankbaits

Hey guys thank you for all the replys on pouring my own crankbaits I'm very good at airbrushing I've painted all my lures over again and I've bought crankbaits that were painted already but I always do them up in my own colours in a previous post I asked for some advice on pouring my crankbaits from lures I have that have been dicontinued so basically I want to make a mould out of one of them I did notice someone posted makeing a jig out of bondo which never crossed my mind so for the guys in the know how would I go about makeing a mould as when the bondo drys how would I get to my lure to extract it and pour more crankbaits with it also would I have to treat the moulds with something so the liquid plastic would not stick to it and also I threw this by before if I wanted to make the mould with the lip still intact with the lure (deep divers) would this present a problem I don't feel comfterble at this stage of learning cutting in a lip slot then adding a lip reason being I don't know if I could get it to swim correctly I do want to start carving my own wood crankbaits but at this time of year we work ten to eleven hour days so I really don't have that much time to be carving although I am gathering all the basic tools to do it but I won't get to it till winter that's our kind of slow season and I will have much more time guys sorry for the long questions and I truly respect all ansewers thank you you gentlemen

It can be done just not for everyone.   :lolhuh:    Most of what we do is far from rocket science just takes some common sense and helps to be a little creative in approaching potential problems.

Bondo can be used and is a little more forgiving to get your master out if you remove while still warm as bondo flexes.   Now bondo is soft compared to using plaster of paris or Durham's rock puddy and won't last as long  and start to crumble away.  Bondo less ideal than the other two options mentioned if doing hard molds.  Can't emphasis the importance of  the master being designed properly.  I typically used paste wax or vasoline to coat the master to help get it to come out then used mann's mold release, paste wax, or light coat of Vaseline when pouring cranks.  Now RTV gives a much better functioning mold and allows you not to be worried about putting detail into baits.

Three very simplistic designed, no detail baits I made 11 to 12 years ago when first started messing with molding cranks (poorly done molds as they were some of the first ones i did).  Haven't messed with it all that much in the past few years however.

Crank.jpg

KorisFrog033.jpg

Splatter.jpg

Seach  posts by Husky, me, Riverman , Vodkaman(I think), and know forgetting others, use Foamies as a search word.  Many will go back 2004 and potentially further if there.  Art Brush (shawn) at one time had about the best RTV turtorial on how to make RTV molds (still portion of it on Smooth On site I believe).  Husky had a hard mold tutorial at one point.

Edited by Travis

i feel your pain!.. I usually put in my legal max 70 hrs every week (sometimes even more... Shhh!), but we don't have a slow season.. Hard to find time for a hobby, especially one like this!

But I do.. Little here, little there..... I might cut a couple bodies out on Monday.. Shape em on Thursday.. Sand em on Friday.. Paint on Sunday.. Top coat the next Tuesday.. Fish it on my Thursday off!....... A 2 day project might take me 2 weeks, but I enjoy doing it so much that I'm not gonna stop just cause I don't have time

I've made a couple crank bait molds, hoping to make more of my time.. But the baits themselves were both failed designs... I'll get back to it eventually...... RTV silicone is the right tool for the job.. Other materials could work, and a butter knife could cut a 2x4, if you have the patience

• Like 1

RTV definitely the best option but you should have no issue getting 50 baits out of hard mold depending on the bait design.  I think I was more around 100 with the three bait designs above and pretty sure the top crank was a bondo mold and the other two rock puddy.    

Right tool for the job...and lure makers.    :lolhuh:   

I haven't, but it is not really surprising. The body density is different, probably denser which will reduce the action.

Be it heavier or lighter, the ballast has to be adjusted accordingly. Try the lure on the gram scales to find the difference.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman