ROWINGADUBAY

Kids Kite For Kite Fishing?

I recall an article by Larry Dahlberg where he had good luck trying kite fishing for muskies I was wondering if I could get away with using a smaller kids kite like the kind you get at the dollar store ? ( My son has a diamond shaped  one that is about 24" long and about 15" across)

I would invest in proper fishing kite  if I get bit on this trial

regular kites tend to fly higher up in the air than an actual fishing kite. on a regular kite you have to adjust the bridle. lowering the aoa will make the kite barndoor to the wind thus taking away lift and making it fly somewhat lower to the water/ground. add a big dropper loop in the flying line and clip one of the loop ends, tie a release clip onto your line and hand launch. you'll need a dedicated "kite rod" for this. I've done this a bunch of times with dollar store kites for pelagics and it works.

One little trick Ive used before is to add a split shot to one side of the trailing edge. this will allow you to veer the kite to one side of the boat or another so you dont have to be directly downwind of the kite to catch fish..good luck.

ymmv    

• Like 1