Painter1

Mold Alignment Dowels

I have about a dozen molds from Delmart that are unpleasantly unique with respect to fastening & alignment. The fastener bolts are pressed in place and there are no permanent alignment dowels in the molds. The molds come with removable 1/4" pins that fit loosely but are adequate as designed.

I bought a press to remove the bolts and press in some dowel pins.

I am using the Ultra mold pneumatic clamp system (works great) so need to add alignment dowels on these Delmart molds to keep things square. The holes are there in every corner and are uniform at .002" over 1/4". I can order dowel pins from McMaster but not in a size .003" over.

Would it work to use the .002 over pins with LocTite? I really don't want to try and fab these from dowel stock. Any other solutions are welcome.

Or if you are sure then use Loctite Bearing and Sleeve locker.  It will take more heat and is actually intended to lock an interference fit.  It used to be the green, but I haven't seen it in on the shelves in a while.  I do recall one of the other brands had a green locker that was NOT for bearings and sleeves.  

Brass shim stock will work with standard pins. Just cut a piece into a strip put it in the hole and tap the pin in. Over time they will loosen but just put another piece in and go again. This way the two pieces will fit easily back together. Buy some pins and I could send you some of the brass. Pm me your address.

• Like 1

It won't hold forever - but you could even deform the edge of the hole in the mold - put a punch/chisel/etc on the edge - hit it real hard with a hammer - then press the pin in.... sort of like deforming threads on a bolt you want to have locked in place.

It works - but if the mold gets real hot and starts expanding - them may loosen up.... this is what happened with me on a lead mold I did this with....

J.

5 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

Why not get 4 long dowels long enough to go through all molds you want to shoot, slide them in and out as needed, it's not perfect but it will get the job done?

They come with 2 like that, it's a royal pain in the butt to have to put the alignment pins back in every time you close the mold. 

2 hours ago, DaveMc1 said:

They come with 2 like that, it's a royal pain in the butt to have to put the alignment pins back in every time you close the mold. 

Fully understand.... I run heaps of his molds and agree, I'm thinking along 6 inch dowels, put though 4 or so molds at once, clamp and shoot.

Me, I still use his pins and thumb nuts, sure is painfull 

Edited by edgecrusher