Saugerman

Splatterback Paint Job

I would like to know, the best way to get a good splatterback effect on my hardbaits. Iv'e read about how one person used the air brush to make his, but I can't seem to make my Badger paint brush make the effect. I would like to here how many of you paint yours.

I'm sure there are many ways to make this effect. I also heard of using a tooth brush. 

Sure would like to see what most of you do, for this.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Saugerman
  • Like 1

Some use a tooth brush, apply paint to the brush and flick the bristles, to do it with an air brush takes practice but if you take a piece of cardboard and load it up with paint at one point it will start to splatter you need to hold the brush on an angle and blow the paint off the cardboard at your bait.

• Like 1

Here are some helpful pointers for airbrush:

1) Use thicker paint.

2) Use low air pressure - 10 PSI or less.

3) Flick the trigger. Start with your finger slightly off the trigger. Then, as quickly as you can, push down, pull back, and release. The idea is to get the paint to pool up a bit in the end of the nozzle rather than to atomize. Angling the brush upwards may help. So can applying a short piece of dinking straw over the end of your nozzle.

4) Keep your bait at a distance. Mine is 6-10 inches. Yours may vary.

5) Aim over your bait. The atomized paint will float off. the heavier droplets (spatter) will arc down onto your bait.

6) Practice practice practice.

If all else fails, there is always black glitter sprinkled on the first top coat. I hope this helps!

I use a Badger 150. Granted it is not the best brush out there. But you can still do some amazing work with it. 

Edited by Chuck Young
  • Like 1

I've tried all of the methods described above at one time or another. For me personally I like to use a Popsicle stick and do it like what gone2long described above. I seem to have more control over where the splatter goes doing it this way. If you want bigger splatter you can use thicker paint where thinner paint will usually create smaller splatter. Air pressure also plays a role in the end result, but that's true of most splatter techniques.

Ben

• Like 1

I just turn down the pressure how much depends on the effect that I'm looking for. Then I flick the trigger. Thinning the paint changes the effect also as stated above.

Last week I was showing my grand how to do the technique. We were using the technique to create splatters, line's from the belly up and what I call spit spots. Shooting the airbrush at angles. I do use a Iwata and distances from the lure makes a difference also to the effect.

I like using sponges for another type of effect. A good paint brush gives you another effect. Flicking it or just doing an effect by hand is fun for me.

Dale

Edited by DaleSW
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions  on ways to develop this technique. I tried them all, and finally was able to get a descent effect with the straw over the end of the brush. All the ways work, but this just seemed the one I could do with the most similar results. I will post some pictures soon, thanks again for each reply.

• Like 2

I agree with Ben. I have never read that article, for me every dog will find a bone by searching. I taught myself by just trying something different and then another. I did read about the caps years ago.

Something else I should mention is in my first post when I was teaching my helper, I was showing her how to spray in very low pressures 8-15 lbs excluding primer/sealer coat. I have to say she has really took off with painting.

Hmmm.......never mind there's a child labor law, oh well. Lol

Dale

Edited by DaleSW