shadeline

Cleaning Old Do-It Molds

I just bought some old do-it molds off ebay.  They still pour ok, but they are nasty looking.  They have oxidation and rust.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to get these clean?  Is there something that would make them shine like new again?

I'm curious are these made of Ferrous metal? I was under the impression that they were aluminum? Oxidation is much different than rust.

I'm thinking a good industrial cleaner like simple green and a pressure washer will take care of things. Might have to go at it more than once if it's real stubborn. I would try this first before I used more aggressive methods. After cleaning, be sure and dry and oil the hinge. The roll pins usually are ferrous.

I've bought a bunch from a guy and some of them look like three miles of dirt road. Next time I use my pressure washer I may try it myself. I have three Nozzles and the get pretty aggressive quick. Not aggressive enough to move metal but will work the paint on those handles over, for sure. I think I'll take my handles off before I try it. Those handles slide off after you take the screw out and I've had to bump them with a hammer and wood block.