mark poulson

Cleaning Aluminum Gears

Are we talking the normal sludge from dirt and lubricant or something else like corrosion? If it's just the normal gunk that builds up over time I usually just scrub them with a toothbrush in hot water and Dawn dish washing liquid. I used to use brake cleaner in the spray can that you can get at pretty much any auto parts store, but you have to make sure you don't get it on any plastic parts. The brake cleaner being in a pressurized spray can would really blast the gunk out of those hard to reach places.

Ben

• Like 1

Soap and water is a pretty good cleaner like Ray said.  If it requires more than that the gear may be damaged.  Cleaning may be possible if corrosion is light, but if it requires hard work to clean up it may have a hum or buzz to its feel ever after.  If you are like me and a rough feeling reel makes you grit your teeth and cringe then it might be worth buying replacement parts if available.