northrivergeek

Lead Mat Buster Molds , Cant Find !

Looking to make this or a variation of this one .. if anyone has some of these in lead .. love to get some measurements, just not sure how big they need to be in lead to get 1oz and 1.5 .. I have a friend in a machine shop that will make me a mold if I can get him cad drawing or measurements  , this is just for personal use not for sale

b5ff9a10-c0de-4264-b0c0-db5788594ad1_zps

Edited by northrivergeek

I use Solidworks which a model and drawings can be made for production or for a machinist.. However for a small amount of pieces, drawings would be expensive, but you would get exactly what you want. Also the volume of the part can be figured out close enough to the profile you want in a lead head by calculating and editing the profile.

Here's an example for you. The cad file properties are as follows:

*** Bullet Weight in picture is 1" long from top of cone to bottom of collar.

***The inside diameter of the through hole is .040 diameter

*** Diameter of the cone body is .266

***Density of pure lead is 11 grams/ cm cubed

Weight of the Bullet weight in cad file 1.632 ounces

Now remember that any change in size shape or form will change the outcome of your answer.

Note: For all of you math scholars with PHD's, I may be slightly incorrect so don't crucify me here. However I will take all constructive criticism to enhance my knowledge of math. LOL

bullet.JPG

bullet.JPG

bullet.JPG

bullet.JPG

bullet.JPG

bullet.JPG

bullet.JPG

bullet.JPG

post-13040-0-50364600-1474552528_thumb.jpg

Edited by cadman

I don't have a metal lathe, so I'm just asking.

Could you take an egg sinker and turn it to that shape on a lathe?  You could powder coat it afterwards, to make it a little more durable.

Mark,

Everything is possible.  I think it would be impractical and too expensive to take an existing lead part, chuck it on the head stock and then put the tail stock on to keep it center, then to turn it down. Plus the lead is probably too soft and then from the friction, probably would melt and get disfigured, possibly causing bodily harm. Just my thoughts on this.

• Like 1

Mark, I think it would be possible but would be very slow going.  I cut grooves in bullet weights all the time with a hack saw but I think it would take a long time to form an egg sinker into the shape he is looking for.

I make a skirted lead bullet weight by chucking a bullet weight in my drill press with pointed end down. Raise the table up so that the cone end is inside the hole of the table and just enough of a gap between the table and the three jaws of the chuck to slide two hacksaw blades on a frame in against the weight. I then turn it on and apply a little pressure and pull on the saw handle I have the blade teeth so that it cut as I am pulling the saw torward me. It cuts a nice groove in the weight that allows me to tie a couple tabs of silicone around it. One of the advantages of this that I never thought about when I started making them is that It doesn't snag nearly as much as a bullet weight without a skirt. 

John

• Like 1

here is what my engineer buddies at work came up with in cad, not sure if the weights will be those sizes , did not think about looking up the math lol, but one of these will work, maybe cadman will figure it up for me lol   8O 

matbusters_zpsquzdvjes.jpg

What software was that done in? If you have the solid model of each of those shapes send them to me. If it was done in Solidworks send me the Solidworks files of each, if it wasn't done in Solidworks send me a .STEP or .STP file of each. I will then calculate the profiles and see what I come up with.

What software was that done in? If you have the solid model of each of those shapes send them to me. If it was done in Solidworks send me the Solidworks files of each, if it wasn't done in Solidworks send me a .STEP or .STP file of each. I will then calculate the profiles and see what I come up with.

Was done in AutoCad Probably Mechanical, its a dwg file 

Was done in AutoCad Probably Mechanical, its a dwg file 

If it is a DWG file, than I would have to redraw it and make it into a solid for my software to calculate. Way too much work to start over again and redraw. My software calculates profile of the the part including all voids and then calculates for the density of lead. PM me (1) file to see how much work there is to do.

Send me the .DWG part file only. It looks like the part is a solid, unless that is just shading.

Edited by cadman

If I were trying to make these in a 1oz size I would use the Do-It SJ-3-BL bullet spinner bait mold(model # 3226).

This mold has a 1oz and a 1 1/8oz cavity in it. Not the 1 1/2 you are looking for but better than nothing.

Modify the mold so you don;t use the hook and the pull wire goes all of the way through.

JB

If I were trying to make these in a 1oz size I would use the Do-It SJ-3-BL bullet spinner bait mold(model # 3226).

This mold has a 1oz and a 1 1/8oz cavity in it. Not the 1 1/2 you are looking for but better than nothing.

Modify the mold so you don;t use the hook and the pull wire goes all of the way through.

JB

Im having machinist at work make this out of two pieces of 3/4" thick aluminum plate we have in the scrap pile :) so it will cost me nothing other than pouring the machinist and the guy who did the cad drawing doz each size.. the lead I got 400lbs free years ago lol .. been working on that pile for a long time .. and get more from a fishing buddy at tire store anytime I need more.

Im the IT guy .. dont have access to use the cnc .. but its who you know and can trade with :)

Edited by northrivergeek

If it is a DWG file, than I would have to redraw it and make it into a solid for my software to calculate. Way too much work to start over again and redraw. My software calculates profile of the the part including all voids and then calculates for the density of lead. PM me (1) file to see how much work there is to do.

Send me the .DWG part file only. It looks like the part is a solid, unless that is just shading.

just shading .. 

I would consider making a silicone mold if you have something to copy.  If you don't have something to copy, you make a mockup from an bullet weight sinker and brass skirt body.   Drill  a hole to accomodate the brass skirt body. . You should have a reasonable mockup to make a silicone mold.  Should take about an hour to make the mockup.   Making the silicone mold should also go pretty fast.

Not sure if they have bullet wts large enough.  You can also take an

egg sinker chop one end flat.

Good luck

Edited by jcool3
  • Like 1