lurebaz

Presto Pots

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a couple of presto pots for increasing my productivity, i have a few questions if that is ok?

How important is it to get a stiring system.

Is there a way to hold a double injector, one injector in each pot.

Where is the best place to buy

Many thanks 

Never really did like the presto pots. I always found them to be quite hard on the plastic. If you are looking at shooting a lot of 1 and 2 colour baits take a look at one of these. Yes they are expensive but they are built for plastic using insulated pots. You can draw plastic directly from each pot for single colour baits or you can draw from the 2 colour manifold for 2 colour laminates. The absolute best part is there is NO blending block to fumble with, shoot laminates just like you would shoot a solid colour. They have the Mini with a pair of 2 quart pots for smaller operations or the regular one with a pair of 2.5 gallon pots. 

I think if you are going to be dealing with enough plastic that you need to maintain heat to shoot over time a stirring system is pretty important. 

+1 - I'd say if you just plan on doing dark baits (ex. black / green pumkin) you can probably live with hand stirring a presto if you had too.... I did for awhile - but was using a micro for light colors and the presot for a big batch of darker colors.  If you have any intention of doing lighter colors, transparents or clears with the presto.... you have to have the heat dialed and consistent.... as it only takes a 30 seconds for a presto to heat a portion of your clear too far and then have it turn it yellow.

You can make a stirring system pretty easily... I did - but it's still not cheap - a decent 120V 50RPM gearmotor is $35-50 on EBAY used.... then add cost for materials to make a paddle, plate to hold it above the presto, the enclosure, etc.... sometimes things are just easier to buy and save the headaches.... I usually realize that after the fact.

J.

Edited by SlowFISH

I have attached a copy of the mold i designed, I am getting ok results but because it is such a large mold 10" and uses a lot of plastisol using a microwave is not really viable. Also i must be stiring a lot of air into the mix,because of the mold orientation this air ends up in the head sometimes which results in a hollow head. 

IMG_52261.JPG

IMG_48961.JPG

IMG_52261.JPG

IMG_48961.JPG

IMG_52261.JPG

IMG_48961.JPG

IMG_52261.JPG

IMG_48961.JPG

IMG_52261.JPG

IMG_48961.JPG

IMG_52261.JPG

IMG_48961.JPG

IMG_52261.JPG

IMG_48961.JPG

IMG_52261.JPG

IMG_48961.JPG

post-24053-0-01988800-1474554977_thumb.jpg

post-24053-0-23229900-1474555103_thumb.jpg

Edited by lurebaz
  • Like 2

To control Temperature for Plastisol the best thing to do is get a PID Temperature Controller. One can control the temperature see examples of units in links. One needs to know what voltage, amps and temperature range their working with. Some of the suppliers we all buy our Plastisol supplies from that are making injection equipment or heating pots use PID controllers.

Some PID's come as kits some you buy SSR and Temp probe separate.

MYPIN TA4 and Auberins are popular to use.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3

https://www.amazon.com/TA4-SNR-Thermocouple-Digital-Temperature-Controller/dp/B0195V53X8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474559503&sr=8-1&keywords=mypin+ta4++%22ssr%22

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mypin-digital-f-c-pid-temperature-controller-ta4-snr-k-thermocouple-40a-ssr-/301365612354

Edited by jim_44125

Has anyone tried a Stirio automatic pot stirrer? Amazon has it for 30 dollars with free shipping. And Lurebaz - lucky for  you, they are available on the Amazon UK site.

It uses rechargeable batteries so its run time may be limited. It may be possible to rig a DC voltage source to  it.

• Like 2