buzfly

1K Acrylic Clear Coat

Has anyone had good or bad experience with Automotive 1K (one part) areisol clear coats to be used on PLASTIC LURE?

I am looking for something to spray 20-40 baits at a time without mixing and not putting it through an air gun or airbrush.  I am not at the volume of lures to justify using a spare gun at this time.  I know their are volume of info on Moisture Cured, Devcon 2 Ton, Envirotex and 100's of others that have been used and talked about in exhaustive detail.  I know the environmental, health concerns and precautions that you have to take with this type of finish.  I also know the Automotive 2K (two parts) are stronger and are probably the best but you could need to coat over 100  lures at one shot to make it economical.

I have no problem using the above types of coating, just looking for a faster, stronger, less problematic and better system that fits my workflow.  

I have picked up Stray Max 1K Acrylic Clear Coat 368-0058 to used to clear coat some parts for my sons car and interested in peoples ACTUAL EXPERIANCE with this type of finish. It does have a UV inhibitors in it.  A 10 oz spay can costs about $20 that can probably coat over 100 larger plastics with three coats.  

I have sprayed a few dozen with three light coats and followed all the directions as to flash time and proper sequencing of the additional coats.  They look great, feel good and appear to have not bonding issues.  

Trying to get some idea about durability, hardness, crack resistant and adhesion over cured Createx Paints.  

Thanks and I will let you know how it works out.

Brad

hi what you explain is an automotive pre-mixed clear cost. youshould not have an issue. try a fast flash coat. let dry then shoot your clear coat. we use auto clears on thousands of plastic cranks yearly., durability is excellent,as its a plastic substrate all should be well over cured waterbased paints.. one key factors the flashcoat to lok the color without making it run . aersols have thinners mixed in,the can.

• Like 1

Thanks for,the reply. You are 100% correct on the flash coat. A thin first coat and letting it flash and then applying two other thin coats looks like the solution so far. I made the mistake of touching one of the bottoms of the lure when the first coat was wet and it smudged the pair. Lessons learned. Hope it holds up to for the surf casters that will be using these.

As I stated in the first post this is what I am using:

Stray Max 1K Acrylic Clear Coat 368-0058

It appears that it works well on the lures I have painted and coated.  You have to do THIN THIN COATS, three in total is what I am doing because these lures will be used in the salt.

I sprays great, but make sure the lures are free of dust and oils.  I have shot the Createx Clear over them and let them sit for a few hours and then did the three coats of Stay Max 1K.  

You can see a big difference in weight and build up as compared to Devcon Two Ton.  I know the Devcon will last longer on the big baits.  

Brad

• Like 2

You have to decide for yourself (or maybe your customers will do it for you) whether a particular topcoat is "good enough". JMHO, I topcoated a reel with auto color followed by a 1K spray auto topcoat and the resulting finish was less durable than what I consider "good enough". I hope your experience is better, especially since we're talking saltwater lures that take a real beating.

• Like 1