SW Lures

Clear Coating

I have a friend that does some baits (saltwater) and also car paint, high quality car painting. He also paint rods after another guy makes them. Him and I was chatting about clear coating and he gave me several different clear coats, high dollar. He also is looking at a good price for Transtar. These are solvent base and I remember that this may not work with water base paint. Am I right?

Also he leant me a 1.0 gravity feed gun for clears. He said this will allow me to use glitters when I want to. He told me to use the air pressure to control the amount and the fine tuning of the brush. Any opinions?

Dale

I don't recall hearing about problems clear coating water based acrylic with automotive solvent based cleats. Where a problem can arise is using them over a solvent based paint, primer, etc that may contain incompatible solvents that have not fully out-gassed before application. That's fairly rare but considering the witch's brew of coatings you hear about here on TU, it sometimes happens.

• Like 4

Thanks Bob. Yeah I was given this so I thought what the heck, I'll give it a go. He usually use this clear on the rods he makes. I was just chatting with him about what I was using, KBS and DN. I was seeing which one I like. Then two days later here he was with a box. I was telling him about Transtar and he went to his office and gave me a really good price for that. Heck I'll have more clear coat brands then I have have colors in paint. Well I'll know what I like after this.

I have respirators for it also Jonister. I'll let you know how it goes.

It appears somehow I created two threads of the same topic again. I have no idea how that happen, did nothing no more then I normally do. Maybe a glitch I don't know?

Thanks again,

Dale

• Like 1